Chickpea Rice Pulao with Pulao/Biryani Masala. Easy 1 Pot meal w/ chickpeas, basmati rice and vegetables. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free Nut-free One Pot Recipe. Can be made oil-free.
Easy Chickpea Rice Pulao with Home made pulao/biryani Masala! Make your own pulao masala (spice blend) or use store bought. Veggies, chickpeas and basmati rice make this a fabulous one pot meal. The fresh home made masala is so much more fragrant.
Pulao and Biryani are essentially one pot meals made with grains such as rice and protein + veggies, lots of herbs, spices. Pulao, pulav or Pilaf generally has the protein cooked in spices or sauce, and then the grains are added with broth or water, cooked together to finish the dish. Biryani is a layered meal where most of the components are cooked separately to al-dente, then layered, spiced, herbed, slow cooked and served. Biryani can have other regional recipes as well, where everything is cooked in one pot.
Often the recipes call for whole spices or a collection of spices depending on the region. That increases the ingredient list and adds extra time needed to fetch the ingredients and cook them in the first few steps of the recipe. To shorten that time, the spices can be roasted and ground and stored, to use in any grain + protein one pot meal. Use the recipe from this post or pick up the Biryani/Pulao Masala spice blend from an Indian store! Serve with non dairy yogurt or raita, pickle or mango/mango salsa. Find out how to make your own yogurt or raita (spiced yogurt cucumber salad) in my cookbook !
You can also use garam masala of course. The coriander seeds, peppercorns and fennel seeds give the pulao masala an amazing flavor that works beautifully in rice/grain dishes. The recipe looks long because of the spice blend recipe with it. Read through it once!
More One pot meals or rice sides
- Bisi Bele Bath Pressure Cooker Split Pea Brown Rice Soup
- Pressure Cooker Curried Chickpea stuffed Acorn Squash
- Tempeh Tikka Pulao.
- Chipotle Citrus Tofu and Broccoli
So Delicious Dairy-free is giving away a Signed copy of my book! Enter here.
Beyond Meat is giving away huge prizes for their 15second chef Instagram Giveaway! find the details here.
Chickpea Rice Pulao with Veggies and Pulao/Biryani Masala
For the Pulao/Biryani Masala: Use whichever spices you have. Omitting 1 or 2 spices works fine.
For the pulao:
- 3/4 cup (138.75 g) white basmati rice
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) cumin seeds
- 1 cup (14 g) chopped red onion
- 1.5 tbsp garlic paste
- 2 tsp ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) turmeric
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1.5 tbsp pulao/biryani masala home made above or store bought
- 1 cup (149 g) chopped tomato 1 large tomato
- 1 cup (182 g) small chopped assorted vegetables like chopped carrots, green beans, cauliflower etc.
- 15 oz (425.24 g) can chickpeas or 1.5 cups cooked or use other beans of choice
- 3/4 to 1 tsp salt
- 1.5 cups (375 ml) water
- cilantro, mint, lemon juice for garnish
Make the Pulao/Biryani Masala:
- In a small skillet, dry roast all the whole spices through cloves over medium-low heat until they get fragrant and coriander seeds change color. (do not brown). Stir occasionally. This will take 1 to 3 minutes . Cool, transfer to a spice grinder and grind with the cinnamon and nutmeg. Keep aside or store in an airtight container. makes about 3 Tablespoons, half of which will be used for the pulao.
For the Pulao:
- Soak the basmati rice in water for about 15 minutes (the next few steps take that much time, so no planning needed).
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker over medium heat (IP on saute). Add cumin seeds and cook for a minute or until fragrant.
- Add onions, a generous pinch of salt and a generous pinch of sugar and cook until golden. 5 to 7 minutes. Add ginger, garlic, turmeric, cayenne, pulao masala and mix well. Cook for few seconds or until very fragrant. Add tomatoes and a tbsp of water and cook until the tomatoes are saucy. Mash the larger pieces. about 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetables, chickpeas and salt and mix well. Cook for a minute.
- Drain the rice, add to the pressure cooker. Add scant 1.5 cups of water and mix well. Close the lid and cook for 1 to 3 minute on Manual in Instant Pot (or cook for 1 whistle) - Depends on the type/brand of rice.
- Let the pressure release naturally. Add a dash of lemon juice and fluff. Taste and adjust salt if needed and mix. Garnish with cilantro and chopped mint. Serve with non dairy yogurt, raita, pickle or mango/mango salsa
Follow steps 1 to 3 in a saucepan. At step 4, add the veggies and chickpeas, cover and cook for 6 minutes or until the vegetables are somewhat crisp al dente.
At step 5, add 1.5 cups water and mix. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 18 minutes, or until the rice looks dry on the top. Let it sit for a few minutes, then open the lid and fluff. Nutritional values based on one serving