I have these days when I get a burst of ideas (or there are too many things in the fridge and pantry to use up), and we end up with loads of food and loads of recipes in drafts waiting to be edited. Loads of photos to be edited. And then there are days, or weeks where I cook just for the meals. Some regular food, and time to write up posts. Except that I just want to sleep today. But lets get to this recipe before I catch the shut eye and cuddle up with Chewie, who is still down.
Today is an Easy pasta with loads of flavor. Use up the greens with this lemony basil pesto. I used rainbow chard, red bell pepper and zucchini. The pesto is basil, walnuts and lemon juice. Lime zest adds a punch to the overall flavor for an appetizing weeknight pasta.
More pasta recipes from the blog
- Pumpkin Sage Pasta with pumpkin cream sauce and crisp Sage
- Black pepper Mac and Cheese
- Chickpea Choriza, Quinoa shells in tomato sauce.
- Spinach Penne in Chipotle Habanero cream sauce
- Ziti Cheddar Brussels sprouts bake
- 1 cup packed basil about 1 oz
- 2 tbsp evoo extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp or more water
- 2 cups uncooked pasta 6 to 8 oz
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 3 to 4 large chard leaves hard stems removed and chopped
- 1/2 a large zucchini chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt about 1/3 tsp and black pepper to taste
- zest of 1/2 a lime or 1/4 lemon add more to preference
Process all the ingredients in a food processor until coarsely blended. You can use all basil or 1/4 cup cilantro + 3/4 cup basil.
Cook the pasta according to instructions on the package.
Meanwhile heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil when hot and tilt the pan to coat. Add garlic, bell pepper and a pinch of salt. Cook for 2 minutes or until garlic is translucent.
Add chopped chard, zucchini and pepper flakes. Mix. Cover and cook until the chard is wilted. Add a splash of water if needed.
Add the prepared pesto and mix in.
Add the cooked pasta and toss. Add salt and pepper to taste and mix in. Taste and adjust.
Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Add in the zest and mix in. Taste and add more zest if needed. Garnish with <a href="https://www.veganricha.com/2014/04/herbed-white-bean-rainbow-chard-thyme.html" target=_blank">pepita parmesam</a> or other nut based parm and serve.
Nutritional values based on one serving