How to make perfect Turmeric Steel Cut Oats or Golden Milk Oats with toasty oats, turmeric, cinnamon and cardamom. Serve with Strawberries, chia seeds and other garnishes of choice. Easy Make ahead Breakfast Recipe. Ready in 30 minutes. Pin this post.
I have never been a fan of oatmeal made with rolled oats. Its just something about the texture and flavor that throws me off. I have tried old fashioned oats in oatmeal using various methods, mixed with various grains and what not, without luck. However, what works for me is oat flour and oats in baking. Lately, I discovered that I really like steel cut oats in terms of texture and flavor. So steel cut oats make my morning porridge or pudding instead of the old fashion oats.
This sunny Steel cut oats porridge is a breeze to put together. With the bright turmeric to brighten up your day, the subtle cinnamon and cardamom, the porridge can easily masquerade as a creamy dessert. Dress up your bowl as you wish. I use some pretty strawberries, currants, chia and pepita seeds. Turmeric is staple in a lot of savory Indian dishes. It is a fabulous spice to add to the diet with all its anti-inflammatory properties.
The oats are toasted in a little oil. They can be dry roasted as well. Then simmered in a water and milk mix until cooked through. Then Turmeric, spices and sweetener are mixed in for another few minutes of simmer. Served warm or chilled with toppings of choice. Use broken wheat or buckwheat groats for variation.
Start the day with the best breakfast with these Turmeric Steel Cut Oats aka Steel cut oats in Golden Milk!
More breakfast options from the blog
- Vegan Shakshuka with Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Bowl Banana Apple Bread
- Lentil Veggie Frittata – no Soy
- Savory Oats Hash
- Vegan Moist Carrot Cake
The porridge when done might have a bit more liquid than the oats. I like the milky oats as there is a lot more flavor in the milk. Oats will absorb all the liquid as they sit.
Serve warm or chilled with toppings of choice.
Since adjectives are the thing these days,.. what works for these? Life changing, brightening, glowing, blissful, sunny, super charging, sleep be gone, want these everyday.. Golden Oats! 😉
- 1/4 tsp oil
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats use certified gluten-free if needed
- 1 1/2 cups water 2 cups for thinner consistency
- 1 cup non dairy milk
- 1/3 tsp or more turmeric
- 1/3-1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp or more cardamom
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp or more maple or other sweetener of choice.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the oats and toast for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add in the water and milk and mix. Bring to a boil. (about 5 mins)
- Reduce heat to medium low. Stir and continue to cook for 10 mins.
- Mix in the spices, salt and maple and cook for another 7 minutes or longer until the oats are cooked to preference. Taste and adjust sweet and flavors. The oats will need a few minutes longer if you double/increase the recipe.
- There might be some extra liquid in the saucepan. The liquid keeps getting absorbed by the oats as the porridge sits. Cook for a few minutes longer or let it cool for 10-15 minutes to thicken.
- Garnish with sliced strawberries, chia seeds, pepita seeds, currants or other fresh or dried fruit of choice. Serve warm or chilled.
Make it Oil-free: Toast the oats in a dry skillet until they change color and get fragrant. Add water + milk and proceed.
Variations: Use spice blends like Chai masala + turmeric, or saffron + turmeric, or vanilla or pumpkin pie spice.