Yes, that is not chickpea flour and not tofu! Just some good old red lentils (masoor dal).
Red Lentils are soaked for 15-20 mins. Then blended with water, spices, baking powder, kala namak. The veggies are cooked slightly with spices, then distributed in the pan. Then the lentil batter is spread on top. Bake and done!
Chickpeas and chickpea flour are the in thing these days. They are easily available too. Often, I want to use other beans and lentils in the recipes but end up using chickpeas. Its because of the ease of availability and the familiarity of the readers. Red lentils are coming up right behind chickpeas. Easily available, super quick cooking, protein filled and delicious. Try this frittata with red lentils. You can also use the chickpea flour mixture from this Broccolini frittata, or use this lentil batter in the broccolini frittata for variation. You can also use moong dal (split and skinned mung beans) or a mix of red lentils andmoong dal to make the batter. Make this into a quiche by using a prebaked quiche crust. Add spices and blends of choice. Fold in some smoke coconut (coconut bacon). Get baking!
More savory bunches from the blog, all soy-free
- Broccolini White Bean Chickpea flour Frittata GF
- Fluffy Chickpea flour omelet /pancake GF
- Lentil Mung Bean Omelettes with blackened veggies and havarti. GF
- Chickpea flour fat pancakes with cauliflower. GF
- Sweet Potato Crepes Stuffed with smoky millet. GF
Step by Step Photos for Lentil Veggie Frittata
Lightly roast the veggies
Transfer to a parchment lined pan.
Blend the lentils with the eggy mix ingredients and pour over the veggies. Use a spatula to even it out. Bake until golden.
Cool for a few minutes before slicing.
Serve with sauces or dressing of choice.
Lentil Veggie Asparagus Frittata Recipe
For the lentil eggy mix:
- 1/2 cup (90 g) red lentils masoor dal, split red lentils, or use Moong Dal
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 1/4 cup (28 g) almond meal
- 1 tbsp flax seed meal or chia seed meal
- 2 tsp starch like cornstarch or arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 tsp (0.67 tsp) salt
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) turmeric for color 1/8 tsp or more Indian kala namak (Indian sulphur salt) - for the eggy taste (optional)
- 1/3 tsp (0.33 tsp) each of garlic powder, chipotle pepper powder and garam masala or use other spice blend and cayenne
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp or more nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp or more sun-dried tomato optional
- 1 tsp lemon juice
for the veggies:
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 cup (80 g) chopped onion
- 3 large cloves of garlic
- 1 loaded cup asparagus chopped into 1 inch size bites
- 2 cups (1774 g) chopped veggies. I use a cup cauliflower small florets, 1/2 cup chopped carrots and some red bell pepper, peas, mushrooms etc.
- 1/2 cup (15 g) packed baby spinach I used spinach + celery leaves + 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/3 tsp (0.33 tsp) salt or to taste
- 1/3 tsp (0.33 tsp) chipotle pepper powder a dash of black pepper
- 1/4-1/2 tsp (0.25 tsp) each oregano and thyme
- Soak the lentils in hot water for at least 20 minutes. Soak them before you get the ingredients together as the rest of the steps will take about that much time. Prepare your pan by lining with parchment or greasing well. Preheat the oven to 365 degrees F / 180ºc
Make the veggie mixture:
- Chop up the veggies and keep aside. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions, garlic and cook until onions are translucent. 3-4 mins.
- Add the asparagus, cauliflower, carrots and other veggies if using and mix in. Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Add in the spices, greens and mix in. Cover and cook for 2 to 4 minutes or until the greens are wilted. Take off heat and Let it sit covered for another minute.
Make the eggy mix:
- Drain the lentils and blend with 1 cup water. Blend for atleast a minute. Add the almond flour and the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth. I blended 2 full 50 second cycles in the blendtec.
- Transfer the veggies to the parchment lined pan. Mix in vegan cheese shreds if using.
- Drizzle the lentil mixture on the veggies and spread with a spatula. Tap once or twice so the mixture settles on the veggies.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes until a tooth pick from the center comes out almost clean and not wet.
- Cool in the pan for 10 mintues, Then cool on the cooling rack for another 5-10 before slicing. Serve with avocado and sriracha or other sauce, chutney or dressing.
Add vegan cheddar cheese shreds or other vegan cheese, mix into the veggies. Make Pancakes/small omelets: Chop the veggies smaller, cook and mix into the batter. Make fat pancakes of the lentil batter on a skillet and cook both sides Nutrition notes: Vit A 172 %