Amazing Pesto Spaghetti with Vegan Meatballs made with Chickpeas. Vegetarian Chickpea Walnut “meatballs” over pesto pasta. 24 gms of Protein per serve. Ready in 40 Minutes. Vegan Soyfree Recipe. Can be Glutenfree.
A good Spaghetti is what I need on weekdays to feel satiated and happy. Pasta cooked perfectly, tossed in pesto or marinara with these easy Chickpea Walnut “Meatballs” / Balls.
The meal comes together quickly with some planning. Make the pesto ahead of time. Cook some onion and garlic, toss it in the processor with the ball ingredients, shape or scoop and bake. While they bake, cook the pasta. Toss, garnish, add the toasty warm balls and done. Premade pesto or tomato based sauce makes it a faster meal. Make a double batch of these chickpea balls to whip up a meatball sub sandwich, add to wraps or serve with dips. Whats your favorite way to serve these super delicious chickpea balls?
Why call them “meatballs” rather than bean balls, veggie balls, balls, is because most searches are for that not and for bean balls. I can keep creating amazing meals, but if they are not named well, no one will find them through search. Another eg is that if I call my cashew cheese, cultured cashew block, no one will find it. Eventually there will be universally accepted vegan terms, so bear with me till then.
More Pastas from the blog
- Fettuccine Alfredo with caramelized mushrooms. So Good
- Cauliflower Parmesan Pasta Bake – sliced cauliflower, baked then dressed in vegan mozz and baked over pasta. Whats not to love!
- Pumpkin Sage Pasta with pumpkin cream sauce and crisp Sage – Fall Comfort
- Black pepper Mac and Cheese with Potato Carrot Cheese Sauce.
- Chickpea Chorizo, Quinoa shells in tomato sauce. GF, this chorizo is amazing in tacos too.
- Garlic Pasta with Cajun Cauliflower – << a hit with Everyone! Make it!
In other reading, If you are transitioning to a vegan or plant based diet and need help or a mentor to make things easier, help navigate new products, foods, situations, Vegan outreach has a mentor program to help. You can join the program here.
Also, please sign this letter to help these retired greyhounds kept in filthy conditions to sell their blood (graphic, scroll to the bottom for the letter).
Balls ready to bake.
These chickpea walnut balls are great to make meatball subs, over marinara or any which way! Bake and keep these handy for quick meals. The recipe looks long because of both the pesto and meatball recipes in it. Both can be made ahead to shorten the active time. Make this Easy and Amazing meal and let me know how it turned out!
Amazing Pesto Spaghetti with Vegan Meatballs made with Chickpeas. 24 gm of protein per serve. Vegetarian Chickpea Walnut "meatballs" over pesto pasta. Ready in 40 Minutes. Vegan Soyfree Recipe. Can be Glutenfree.
- 1 small onion
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 2 tbsp flaxmeal mixed with 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp pesto or a handful of basil
- 15 oz chickpeas , 15 oz can or 1.5 cups cooked
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt , less or more depending on the chickpeas
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 cups basil or basil + parsley/other greens (packed lightly)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp walnuts or cashews or toasted sun flower seeds , less or more to preference
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (use 1/2 tsp ground mustard and 1/2 tsp miso to sub)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- water as needed , a few tbsp
- 8 to 9 oz spaghetti
- black pepper pepper flakes for garnish
Make your pesto by blending the basil, garlic, nuts, nutritional yeast in a small food processor or blender until minced. Add the salt, lemon, oil and pulse. Add water to make desired consistency. Taste and adjust flavor with more lemon, salt, nutritional yeast or basil. Pesto can be made ahead and stored in the fridge for upto 3 days or frozen in ice cubes for a month.
Chickpea Balls: Heat 1/2 tsp oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until translucent
Pulse the nuts in a food processor until a coarse meal. Add the onion mixture and the rest of the ingredients and pulse to combine. I usually use the same food processor that I used for pesto. no need to clean as we add pesto to the balls as well.
Transfer chickpea mixture to a bowl. Add breadcrumbs and mix in. Taste and adjust salt and flavor. (Add some poultry seasoning or more herbs if needed). Chill for 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Make balls of the mixture or use an ice cream scoop and place on parchment lined sheet. 1 to 1.5 inch balls (16 to 18 balls). Bake at 425 degrees F for 25 minutes or until golden.
- Cook the spaghetti according to instructions on the package.
- Toss in the pesto. Serve with meatballs a very good dash black pepper and red pepper flakes and additional lemon if needed.
To make this gluten-free, use gluten-free breadcrumbs in the balls or coarsely ground oats. Use gluten-free pasta of choice or over zoodles.
Nutrition is 1 of 4 Serves.