Vegan Pumpkin Scones with Spiced Pumpkin Caramel Glaze. Oil-free. These Easy Scones use coconut cream instead of oil and make for a great breakfast with the pumpkin glaze. Vegan Recipe
Last few weeks of the year and of pumpkin and squash. I have been playing catch up the blog posts since book release and hopefully will have a list of posts lined up by January rather than running to post every week. Though I get most of my ideas when I am super busy, so more good food coming up.
I made these scones last week with coconut cream and no oil or butter, and they turned out fabulously. If you keep everything chilled, they turn out flaky and crisp and melt in your mouth. Pumpkin does add extra moisture, so they will soften eventually. These are best served right out of the oven. The glaze is a simple caramel-ish mix of pumpkin, coconut milk and sugar, all amply spiced with pumpkin pie spice.
Simple ingredients and ready within minutes.
More fall baking
- Pumpkin Donuts
- Pumpkin ginger Snaps
- 1 Bowl Pumpkin Bread SF
- Spiced Sweet Potato Doughnuts with Cinnamon sugar SF
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
- 1 bowl Banana Apple Bread SF
- Gingerbread Cake SF
- Sweet Potato Crumb Cake. GF SF
Ready to bake
Vegan Pumpkin Scones with Pumpkin Caramel Glaze (Oil-free)
- 2 cups (250 g) flour ( I use 1 cup whole wheat and 1 cup unbleached white)
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) baking soda
- 1/3 cup (49.5 g) chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup (55 g) brown sugar packed, or use regular fine sugar and add 1 tbsp molasses with the wet ingredients.
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt
- 3/4 cup (169.5 ml) cream from full fat coconut milk can (chill the can for a few hours and scoop the thick white part) + 1 to 2 tbsp as needed
- 1/2 cup (4.32 oz) pumpkin puree (chilled, chill for a few hours with the coconut milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) vanilla extract
Spiced Pumpkin Caramel Glaze:
- 1/4 cup (2.16 oz) pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup (113 ml) coconut milk , I use the remaining cream and liquid from the can
- 1/3 cup (66.67 g) sugar
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) salt
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 435 degrees F. Line a baking sheet. In a large bowl, mix the flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda and whisk well. Add the sugar, pecans, salt and spice and mix in.
- Add the chilled coconut cream and cut with a fork to mix in. Add the pumpkin and continue to cut with the fork. The mixture will initially feel very dry and then start to come become fat crumbs and dough like. Add another tbsp of coconut cream if needed. Once there isnt much dry flour left, bring it together with a spatula or your hands quickly and shape into a fat disc, atleast 3/4 inch tall. Slice into 6 to 8 triangles using a pizza cutter.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 16 to 17 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the glaze: Cook all the ingredients in a small skillet over medium heat until the mixture thickens. Taste adjust flavor, salt. Add a few drops of vanilla extract for a vanilla pumpkin spice glaze. Let it cool for a few minutes before drizzling on the warm scones. Sprinkle chopped pecans on top (optional). Serve warm as is or with some vegan butter. You can also use a simple sugar icing or a maple sugar glaze.