Vegan Mediterranean Nachos with Shawarma Chickpeas, Tzatziki, Olives, Cucumber, warm toasted Pita bread. Great Appetizer for parties or potluck. Vegan Nutfree Recipe Jump to Recipe
These Mediterranean inspired nachos are super easy to put together. They are refreshing and so delicious with the various textures and flavors. Some toasted pita bread, warm shawarma spiced chickpeas, veggies, olives or sun dried tomato, and a generous helping of tzatziki! You can also switch up the toppings with some hummus and tahini dressing. Add other veggies such as chopped juicy tomatoes and onions.
These Nachos can be made gluten-free with glutenfree flatbreads or veggie chips. They also make a great summer meal. What do you like on your Pita Nacho Bowl!
Ingredients for these Vegan Mediterranean Nachos
- Cooked chickpeas are spiced with shawarma spice blend, garlic, salt and paprika to make a delicious spiced topping. You can use other spice blends such as baharat or ras el hanout.
- The nachos are built up using sliced warm pita bread, sliced olives or sun dried tomato, veggies such as cucumber, tomato, onion.
- The sauce topping I like is my cooling vegan tzatziki as it works really well in the summer. You can also use some hummus and tahini garlic dressing as a topping.
- To make these glutenfree, use glutenfree pita bread or glutenfree chips or baked veggie chips instead.
Cook the Chickpeas with shawarma spice, garlic and salt until warmed well and coated in spice. Warm the Pita bread on a gas stove or a skillet. Add toppings of choice such as cucumber, tomato, olives, sundried tomatoes, shredded lettuce or pickles. Add a good helping of the tzatziki and fresh herbs and serve.
More Nachos from the blog
- Easy Vegan Nachos with nutfree nacho cheese sauce.
- 10 minute Nacho cheese sauce
- Bell pepper Nachos
- Use this spicy Jackfruit or BBQ Jackfruit on Nachos
- And this Cauliflower Taco Meat on Nachos.
- Or Make this Nacho Mac Cheese Casserole with tempeh “meat” !
Vegan Mediterranean Nachos with Shawarma Chickpeas, Tzatziki, Pita Bread
- 15 oz (425.24 g) cooked chickpeas , or 1.5 cups cooked
- 1 tbsp shawarma spice blend , or use 2 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp coriander, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, dashes of black pepper and cardamom.
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste , depends on if the chickpeas were salted
- Heat a half tsp oil or 1 tbsp water on a skillet over medium heat. Add the rest of the ingredients and toss well. Cook for 2 mins, then add a good splash of water. Mix well, cover and cook for another 2-3 mins.
- Warm the pita bread on a gas flame or grill or skillet. Slice and assemble on the plate.
- Add the spiced chickpeas, olives, cucumber/tomato on the serving plate. Add other toppings such as pickles/veggies, Add portions of the tzatziki. garnish with parsley or other fresh herbs and serve.