Easy Pulled Jackfruit Sandwiches. Shredded Jackfruit seasoned with bbq seasoning and bbq sauce, baked and served with slaw. 6 Ingredient Vegan Pulled Pork. Nutfree Recipe. Can be gluten-free soy-free
Unripe Jackfruit, a huge fruit commonly found in tropical climates, has a string like shreddable texture which works great in some applications to make vegan version of meaty meals. It is often used to make a pulled “pork” to fill up sandwiches or tacos.
While trying out my soycurl mango bbq tacos, I felt that this short method of directly baking works out best for me. No additional pans, no additional kitchen standing time! Just shred, mix bbq sauce + seasoning, spread and bake. And done! It cannot be simpler than that!
Change it up with different seasonings such as a mix of bbq and cajun, jamaican jerk, taco seasoning etc. This slaw is a basic one with some vegan mayo, pepper, vinegar and sweetener. Make a double helping of the jackfruit and add to sandwiches, tacos or wraps!
More Jackfruit Recipes
- Crispy Jackfruit Tenders So Good
- Easy Jackfruit Curry
- Vegan Tinga bowl with Hearts of Palm, Chickpeas, Spanish Rice – Sub hearts of palm with shredded jackfruit.
- Jackfruit Meatballs Tacos
- Jackfruit Chickpea Coconut Stir Fry
- Jamaican Jerk Jackfruit, Caribbean Bean Wraps.
Step by Step Photos:
Squeeze the jackfruit in a kitchen towel. Then shred with hands or a fork or knife and add to a bowl with onion, garlic, ginger.
Add the bbq spice and bbq sauce and mix. Spread on parchment lined baking sheet and bake.
Tips to make amazing Pulled jackfruit
- Young green jackfruit texture and flavor can be an acquired thing. Adjust the baking time based on your preference of texture. Add more bbq sauce and bake for less time for moist, and bake longer for crisp caramelized.
- Jackfruit is available as ripe as well as unripe. Ripe jackfruit is packed in syrup and is sweet. We need green unripe jackfruit here. It can be found in Asian stores, Indian stores and online on amazon.
- I make my own bbq seasoning/rub. The other seasoning I like is from world spice which is just spices. So use 2 tbsp and add a tbsp of sugar. You can also add a bit of liquid smoke for smokey profile.
- You want to squeeze the jackfruit as much as possible to remove the brine flavor. Then mix and marinate for a bit if you wish in the bbq sauce + seasoning. Add a bit of broth for additional moisture if needed, then bake.
Vegan Pulled Jackfruit Sandwiches
- 2 20 oz cans (2 cans) young green unripe jackfruit (packed in brine or water not syrup). Each can is 20 oz. you need 2 cans. So a total of 40 oz , it’s white or beigeish white
- 1/2 (0.5 ) medium red onion thinly sliced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) salt or more, depending on taste
- 2 to 3 tbsp (2 to 3 tbsp) bbq seasoning , add 1 tablespoon sugar if the seasoning is just spices. Use 3 tablespoons if the seasoning already contains sugar. See notes for recipe
- 3/4 cup (214.5 g) bbq sauce , plus more for dressing
- 3 cups (210 g) slaw mix (I use shredded cabbage, carrot, brussel sprouts, baby kale mix)
- 1/4 cup (56 g) vegan mayo
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp (0.5 tbsp) maple syrup or sugar to taste
- dashes of salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Drain the jackfruit. Place in a thick kitchen towel, fold and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. This will shred some of the jackfruit. Slice the rest using a knife or separate using hands until somewhat shredded. Remove any hard seeds if any (There are rarely hard seeds in the canned version. The tender seedbox and stem area are all edible).
- Add the jackfruit to a large bowl with sliced onion, garlic and ginger. Add bbq seasoning and sugar mixture, and salt and mix well.
- Add 1/2 to 2/3 cup bbq sauce and mix. Add 2 tbsp veggie broth if the bbq sauce is too thick and mix in (I use 2 tbsp of broth to clean out the mixing bowl after transferring to the baking dish). Spread the mixture in a large baking dish (parchment lined).
- Bake at 400 deg F For 30 minutes. Shred some of the larger pieces by pressing with a spatula. Taste and adjust salt, sweet, heat at this point. Add some salt, sugar/maple syrup and cayenne for heat if needed and mix in and move the jackfruit around.
- Spread well again and continue to bake for another 15 to 25 mins (depends on moisture content, pan/oven and preferred texture.) I like some edges caramelized and crispy)
- Prepare your buns tacos and slaw. Mix everything under slaw. Taste and adjust flavor. Chill for 15 mins and use.
- Mix in 2 to 4 tbsp bbq sauce into the baked jackfruit and assemble the sandwiches with generous layers of jackfruit, more bbq sauce, slaw. You can also fill this in wraps or tacos.
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp oregano/parsley or half of each,
3/4 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp cumin ground /coriander
1/4 tsp celery seed cayenne, black pepper (optional add ins)
1 tbsp coconut sugar optional Nutrition is for 1 serve (1 sandwich) does not include bread.