Vegan Mediterranean Nachos with Shawarma Chickpeas, Tzatziki, Olives, Cucumber, warm toasted Pita bread. Great Appetizer for parties or potluck. Vegan Nutfree Recipe Jump to Recipe
These Mediterranean inspired nachos are super easy to put together. They are refreshing and so delicious with the various textures and flavors. Some toasted pita bread, warm shawarma spiced chickpeas, veggies, olives or sun dried tomato, and a generous helping of tzatziki! You can also switch up the toppings with some hummus and tahini dressing. Add other veggies such as chopped juicy tomatoes and onions.
These Nachos can be made gluten-free with glutenfree flatbreads or veggie chips. They also make a great summer meal. What do you like on your Pita Nacho Bowl!
Ingredients for these Vegan Mediterranean Nachos
- Cooked chickpeas are spiced with shawarma spice blend, garlic, salt and paprika to make a delicious spiced topping. You can use other spice blends such as baharat or ras el hanout.
- The nachos are built up using sliced warm pita bread, sliced olives or sun dried tomato, veggies such as cucumber, tomato, onion.
- The sauce topping I like is my cooling vegan tzatziki as it works really well in the summer. You can also use some hummus and tahini garlic dressing as a topping.
- To make these glutenfree, use glutenfree pita bread or glutenfree chips or baked veggie chips instead.
Cook the Chickpeas with shawarma spice, garlic and salt until warmed well and coated in spice. Warm the Pita bread on a gas stove or a skillet. Add toppings of choice such as cucumber, tomato, olives, sundried tomatoes, shredded lettuce or pickles. Add a good helping of the tzatziki and fresh herbs and serve.
More Nachos from the blog
- Easy Vegan Nachos with nutfree nacho cheese sauce.
- 10 minute Nacho cheese sauce
- Bell pepper Nachos
- Use this spicy Jackfruit or BBQ Jackfruit on Nachos
- And this Cauliflower Taco Meat on Nachos.
- Or Make this Nacho Mac Cheese Casserole with tempeh “meat” !
Vegan Mediterranean Nachos with Shawarma Chickpeas, Tzatziki, Pita Bread
- 15 oz (425.24 g) cooked chickpeas , or 1.5 cups cooked
- 1 tbsp shawarma spice blend , or use 2 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp coriander, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, dashes of black pepper and cardamom.
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste , depends on if the chickpeas were salted
- 3 pita breads
- 1/2 cup (67.5 g) sliced olives , or sundried totmato or pickles
- 1 cup (133 g) veggies such as sliced cucumber onions, chopped tomato or a mix
- 1 recipe tzatziki
- parsley or dill ,pepper flakes, lime juice for garnish
- Heat a half tsp oil or 1 tbsp water on a skillet over medium heat. Add the rest of the ingredients and toss well. Cook for 2 mins, then add a good splash of water. Mix well, cover and cook for another 2-3 mins.
- Make the tzatziki if you havent already, or make some tahini sauce or hummus. Chop the veggies such as cucumber, tomato and herbs such as parsley.
- Warm the pita bread on a gas flame or grill or skillet. Slice and assemble on the plate.
- Add the spiced chickpeas, olives, cucumber/tomato on the serving plate. Add other toppings such as pickles/veggies, Add portions of the tzatziki. garnish with parsley or other fresh herbs and serve.
You had me at Shawarma Chickpeas! I’ve already successfully made vegan Tzatziki for an unrelated meal, and it’s easy and wonderful, so I suspect this is going to go into regular rotation! 😉
Vegan Richa Support
Sounds great. Vegan Tzatziki for the win!
This was so good! Made salad the next day with the leftovers.
Definitely going in our permanent rotation.
Vegan Richa Support
Awesome! Please do add a rating when you make again!
Looks amazing! I’ll spread some hummus on the pita to give the chickpeas something to stick to.
It looks amazing!
How do you eat it? Do you fill the pita bread? Or just with a fork? Because I guess when pita bread have this triangle shape must be difficult to fill, isn’t it?
the pita breads are toasted so they’ll be slightly crisp like nachos. so you can use to pick things up, or just use a fork
Oh wow! This recipes looks incredible! I’m going to give this one a try 😀
Wow! this looks yummy and healthy. I will share this with my wife and definitely give it a try. Thanks for sharing this.
This looks delicious Richa! Thanks.
its so good in the summer!
You are so right! It was perfect for our dinner on a hot summer*s night. Thanks Richa.
Another great, simple recipe.
I love when you give the recipe for a spice mix like shawarma spice blend within your recipes because I then use it on other foods that I feel inspired to make! I’m going to use this spice blend on roasted cauliflower and add it to the recipe for a more veggie boost.
In fact, this spice blend would be good on a bunch of roasted veggies( cauliflower, zukes, onions, mushrooms) served over rice or grain.Thanks again for my dinner inspiration this evening.
yes i use shawarma in so many ways! its an amazing blend. You can find the full recipe here. https://www.veganricha.com/2015/04/cauliflower-shawarma-spice-roasted-cauliflower-wrap.html Double or triple the amounts, mix and store
Love your food, im going to try this tonight
Such a great post, such a simple and easy recipe that looks delicious. I will have to try this recipe at home.