10 Minute Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce. How to make Creamy Vegan Queso Dip. For Nachos, salads, tacos and more. Vegan Nut-free Recipe. Jump to Recipe
This Creamy 10 Minute Cheese Sauce is flavorful and works amazingly for Nachos, Tacos, Mexican style bowls and everything! Some bell pepper, individual spices so that you can adjust the flavor profile rather than depend on a pre-mixed chili powder, nutritional yeast for cheesiness and jalapeno make this a fabulous queso. I also like it in quesadillas or sandwiches instead of cheese and with chipotle pepper spiced baked sweet potato fries. So good!
I have another Nacho Cheese Sauce recipe using chickpea flour which is also nut-free. Both work really well. This is a doubled up portion of the cheese sauce used with Bell pepper Nachos that I posted recently. For a Cashew based sauce see this deeply flavorful Nacho Mac Casserole.
Easy, Flavorful and Ready in 10!
Use it on regular Nachos, bell pepper and cauliflower taco “meat” nachos, dress tacos or wraps and add to quesadillas!
If you make this cheese sauce, let me know how it turned out!.
10 Minute Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce - Vegan Queso
- 1.5 tbsp oil , olive oil or organic safflower
- 2 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup (37.25 g) chopped green bell pepper , finely chopped
- 3.5 tbsp flour , unbleached all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp (0.75 tsp) smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) each of cumin ,garlic powder, dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) chipotle pepper powder or 1/2 tsp adobo sauce
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) onion powder
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) ground mustard optional
- 1 3/4 cup (413 ml) unsweetened non dairy milk , such as almond milk or soy milk
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) salt
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast , less or more to preference
- 1 tsp soy sauce optional
Optional Add ins:
- 2 tbsp salsa
- 2 tbsp (2 tbsp) chopped pickled jalapeno for garnish
- cilantro for garnish, lemon for tang
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook for 2 minutes.. Add flour and mix in. Cook the flour in oil for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix in the bell pepper and cook for half a minute. Mix in the spices and cook for a few seconds.
- Mix in about half the non dairy milk and all of the nutritional yeast. Whisk frequently to mix in the lumps. Add the rest of the non dairy milk and bring to a boil. Cook until thickened. Taste carefully and adjust salt and flavor. Add more cumin or smoked paprika for smokier, chipotle for heat). Add a pinch of turmeric for color if you like and mix in.
- At this point, you can cool the mixture slightly and blend it to make it more creamier and smoother (optional). Mix in the salsa if using. Garnish with pickled jalapeno, cilantro and lemon if needed. Some chopped roasted pimiento or red bell pepper also is a great option to mix in. Serve over nachos, tacos, with chips, quesadillas and more.
Diabetic question. Can almond or chickpea flour be used in place of unbleached al purpose flour.
Yea use chickpea flour. Cook a few mins longer
This was so easy & so fantastic! Made the nachos taste so good! Husband is vegan & this recipe was a godsend!
Delicious! I added a lil chili powder at the end
Vegan Richa Support
I’m so glad taht you enjoyed them together – that’s great.thank you!
I’ve made this loads of times and it’s soooo yummy. I always use jalapeno instead of bell pepper because I prefer it spicy and I make a few minor adjustments. However, I’m going to try the oil free version next time and I’m trying to get a grip on the instructions!
You say toast the flower, remove it, and then saute the garlic and onion in broth? Like vegetable broth? How much? I’m new to oil free cooking but learning. Thank you in advance! Can’t wait to try it.
awesome! about 2 tbpsp broth. Add more if the onion starts to scorch or stick too much,
What can i substitute nutritional yeast with? I am allergic to it. Thanks.
1 tsp miso
I made this today and it was really good! I put quite a bit of turmeric in to make it quite yellow (maybe 1/2 tsp?) It would have been even better if I’d used smoked paprika instead of regular but I was out. I used a bit extra garlic powder and cumin. I put a whole jalapeno in instead of most of the bell pepper. I chopped them briefly in a food processor then tossed them in. I also had to use about a tsp of corn starch mixed with water to get this as thick as I wanted. But, flavour wise, it was everything I wanted in a nut-free and quick queso recipe so thank you! Also I recommend using SILK soy creamer mixed with a bit of water for a nice alternative to soymilk. It’s my go-to for any cooking/baking recipes and always turns out nicely.
What brand Black Salt do you use or is goid quality?? so many to chose from…
What black salt are you looking for? If its kala namak or indian sulphur black salt, then choose any that say indian. Generic black salt is different from Indian black salt which looks pink.
We had this last night. Sooooooo delicious!!!!!! My toddlers even liked it. Yay!
Love this sauce ❤ Incredibly delicious!! Do you have any experience, for how long it can be stored in the fridge, Richa? Thank you in advance 🤗
It stays for upto 4 days, but the texture changes a bit and you need to reheat it, and add some non diary milk if needed if it has thickened too much
Can this be frozen? Thanks
i think the consistency will change. i havent tried it. if you do, let me know
Looks amazing! However it’s not gluten free (came up under that search)…it has both flour and soy sauce.
See notes for gluten-free flour option
You should know the subs if you’re GF. Her recipes are all adjustable! You can use gluten free flour and tamari.
Made this for taco night a few days ago. What a nice change of pace. And tasty! Thank you!
Made today – excellent & so easy! I used my sauce maker & so just put all of the ingredients in & let it do the work for me! Because of this I didn’t use the onions or bell pepper.
Thanks for the recipe Richa!
What’s a sauce maker?
it look easy and delicious
Cassie Autumn Tran
I bet this recipe is fabulous! It would probably taste wonderful on Mexican-style stuffed sweet potatoes!
I did no oil version. Was not thickening up. Had to add cornstarch. Also added more nutritional yeast.
Maybe cook for longer? The flour without the oil sticks to the veggies and might need additional time to mix in and thicken.
This turned out soooo good!! My husband is very picky and LOVED it! Thank you!
Wow looks delicious – I’ll have to make these nachos. I always have so many nachos!
-Enrique, Vegan P2P Facebook Group