Chivda, is a generic name for a savory snack made with fried or shallow fried puffed or flattened rice (murmura, Poha). a savory Granola/trail mix if you will. Jump to Recipe
It is spiced with green or red chili, has nuts and dried fruits, sometimes has combinations of fried chickpea flour noodles(thin or thick Sev) or potato noodles(Aloo bhujia) and sometimes made sweet and salty. There are several varieties and names for the snack depending on the region in India. It is a fun option for a craving between meals to just munch on something. We Indians crave spice and salt more than sweet.:)
- 1 Tablespoon organic canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) fennel seeds Optional
- 1 green chili pepper chopped
- 8-10 (8 ) curry leaves chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar or powdered Jaggery Optional
- 1 cup (140 g) loaded Puffed rice
- 1 cup (190 g) loaded brown rice krispies
- 1/4 cup (36.25 g) each of raisins, dried cranberries or other dried fruit
- 1/2 cup (82 g) Roasted sprouted chickpeas or roasted sprouted red lentils or Nuts of choice
- 2 Tablespoons dry watermelon seeds- Magaj Or sunflower seeds
- 2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup (48 g) roasted chana dal-dalia you can find this in indian store(Optional)
- Heat the oil in a wide pan over medium high heat. Add mustard seeds when hot
- As mustard seeds crackle, add green chili, and curry leaves. (Cover the pan immediately for few seconds to not get splattered by hot oil when you add the curry leaves) You can substitute finely chopped cilantro for curry leaves too. Let the cilantro become completely crisp before the next step.
- Lower the heat to medium low.
- Add raisins, cranberries (and nuts- about 1 cup, and chana daal, if using) and keep stirring for 30 seconds.
- Add fennel seeds, Roasted chickpeas or lentils, watermelon/sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, salt and turmeric. Mix well for a few seconds.
- Add the rise krispies, puffed rice. Mix well until the turmeric color is well distributed(about a minute).
- Take off heat. Add sugar if using, a 1/4 tsp chili powder for spice, taste and adjust salt, mix well and let cool before serving or storing in an airtight container for a few weeks.