Pasta with Spicy Blackened Tempeh and Cilantro Almond Pesto. A delicious and simple pasta dish made with a creamy almond pesto. Vegan and Gluten Free. Jump to Recipe
Pasta with Spicy Blackened Tempeh and Cilantro Almond Pesto
- Tempeh strips used about 4 oz of the flax and soy organic tempeh
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) cajun spice
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) sea salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) red chili powder or Cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) black pepper or to taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Cilantro almond Pesto:
- 2/3 cup (95.33 g) almonds soaked for overnight or soaked half an hour and then nuked for 1 minute 2 times in the microwave
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2-3 cups (32 g) cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt or to taste
- 1 Serrano chili pepper or to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons (2 tablespoons) water
- 2 cups (473.18 g) Elbows or any pasta ,cooked as per instructions on the package. (I found a big elbows package which needs to be finished up, hence elbows in most dishes;) use gluten free if needed
- 1 medium tomato sliced
- Cut up the tempeh in 1/2 inch strips.
- Mix in all the ingredients of the marinade and rub over the tempeh. Use more or less marinade, according to preference. Keep for atleast half an hour. Also use the spices according to taste. We like our tempeh a bit spicy.
- In a small deep non stick pan(can use grill pan too), add some canola oil and heat at medium heat, and arrange the tempeh.
- Add in 2/3 cup water or just about to reach the tops of the strips and cook covered on Low heat for 10-12 minutes.
- Flip the strips and cook for another 10 minutes. The water should have been absorbed by the tempeh. Keep cooking on the same pan to blacken the strips a little or grill them in any which way, for a few minutes till preferred blackened effect! Cook the tempeh right before serving so it is hot and sizzling!
- Cook the pasta according to instruction and keep aside.
- For the pesto, blend the almonds, cilantro, chili, garlic cloves, salt and olive oil into a smooth paste. Use some water if necessary.
- Toss the pasta in the pesto and top it off with the hot blackened Tempeh and some tomato slices!.
- Drop some extra pesto, some chopped cilantro, chili flakes or anything you fancy on top! Quick sizzling Meal!
- Other sauces like a garlicky tomato basil, or a creamy chipotle (cashew cream+chipotle peppers) would work with the blackened Tempeh too! Have a fun Monday!
Have a fun Monday!