Potato in tomato curry. A quick and easy dinner recipe for weeknights, serve with rice and rot/chapati. Vegan and Gluten Free Recipe. Jump to Recipe
A simple, and quick fix for a week night. This curry is usually served with hot fried Pooris(small round breads made with whole wheat flour dough and fried to make puffed up balls). We serve it with Roti/chapati , because the fried pooris are too oily and fatty to be served as dinner!
Potato In Tomato Curry
- 1 medium potato boiled
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) Serrano chili pepper (or to taste) chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) turmeric powder
- 5 curry leaves
- pinch of asofetida (hing)
- a cup of water
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) raw sugar or to taste
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- lemon juice if needed
- In a medium pan, add a teaspoon oil and heat on medium low heat for a minute.
- Add in the mustard seeds and wait for them to sputter.
- Add in the asofetida and curry leaves and mix
- Add in the coriander, cumin seeds, turmeric, garlic, ginger and chili and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in the tomatoes, salt and sugar and cook on medium low heat for 10-15 minutes, until the tomatoes are all mixed and mashed up. Adjust salt and sugar for sweet and sour taste.
- Add in the chopped boiled potato and water and mix well.
- Cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve hot topped with fresh cilantro and some Pooris/Rotis or Rice!