Vegan Chipotle mac and cheese. Roasted Tomato Chipotle Mac and Cheese with Cauliflower sauce. Vegan Soyfree Recipe. Can be Gluten-free and Nut-free. Jump to Recipe
I was thinking of posting a bread today, then decided to make some cheesy pasta for lunch instead and hence the post. mmmm.. mmmmm.. Most days my confort food is things like Gobi Aloo or daal chawal(daal and rice) or rajma chawal( red kidney beans curry and rice).. but there are days when I or hubbs get a pasta craving.
Vegan Chipotle Mac and Cheese. Roasted Tomato Chipotle Mac n Cheese with Cauliflower sauce.
- 1 cup (60 g) uncooked Pasta I used spinach and tomato shells
- 2 teaspoons organic canola oil
- 1/2 cup (74.5 g) cherry or grape tomatoes or regular chopped
- 1/4 cup (35 g) red onion slices
- 1-2 teaspoons (1 teaspoons) chipotle pepper flakes to taste, add mroe later if needed
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.13 teaspoon) black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) garlic powder or 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1/3 (0.33 ) heaping cup grated Cauliflower
- 3/4 cup (187.5 ml) water substitute half with non dairy milk for creamier sauce
- 1.5 Tablespoon ground raw cashew or use other thickening options, a few Tablespoons cornstarch or flour for a nutfree sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) salt or to taste
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (less or more to taste)
- Topping: 1 Tablespoon coarsely ground raw cashew or bread crumbs mixed with nutritional yeast flakes to taste
- Cook the pasta according to instruction.
- In a large pan, add 2 teaspoons oil and heat on medium high.
- Drop in halved cherry tomatoes, or cubed regular tomatoes and onion slices.
- Arrange them in one layer and cook for 8-10 minutes until caramelized to your preference. (You can also roast the tomatoes in the oven at 450 degrees f / 230ºc for 20+ minutes. * To make oil-free, dry roast the tomatoes and onions in the oven till slightly caramelized. Or you can cook them on medium heat in evoo for a non scorched taste. )
- Add chipotle pepper flakes, garlic powder and black pepper to the pan and mix for a few seconds.
- Add the grated cauliflower, salt and water and bring to a boil. (add more grated cauliflower for thicker sauce. You can also use small chopped cauliflower. Cover and cook till tender)
- Let the mixture cool a bit. (If using flour or starch, add to the boiling mixture and mix well).
- Blend this mixture with ground cashew and nutritional yeast, into a smooth paste and return to the pan.
- Add the pasta, toss, taste and adjust salt, spice, nutritional yeast, mix and bring to a boil on low-medium.(2 minutes)
- Remove from heat. Let it sit for a minute before serving.
- Top with coarsely ground cashew or bread crumbs mixed in with nutritional yeast for a cheesy sprinkle or any non dairy cheese before serving.
- You can also add roasted veggies, blanched broccoli or greens to make this a complete meal