Aam Panna used to be a staple drink in our house in the scorching Nagpur summer. It is very rehydrating with tons of water, salt and sugar!
- 1 raw mango
- 1/4 cup jaggery or sugar.
- 1/4 teapoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black salt or chaat masala to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder or cumin powder
- 1 mint leaf (optional)
- 1-2 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
- 3-4 cups water
- Peel and cube the mango and pressure cook with little water for 2-3 whistles.
- Once cooled, blend the mango in a blender to make puree.
- Add grated jaggery or sugar, salt, black pepper, black salt and blend again.
- For variation in taste, add cardamom powder Or cumin powder but not both.
- Add the rest of the water and crushed/chopped mint leaf and mix well.
- Add lemon juice if needed. I used lemon juice because my mango was semi-ripe and not sour enough.
- If the pulp is bothersome, then strain the drink before serving!
- Chill and serve with ice cubes!
The drink is dependent on personal taste, so add in the salt ,spices little at a time, according to your taste buds!. I like mine sweet and sour and vivek likes his super sour! The drink will not look this yellowish with raw mango.
Enjoy in the summer heat!!