Mom got lots of dates and figs this visit. And we were wondering what to do with them. So I tried this Sugarless Burfi which uses some of the figs and dates!
- 1 cup dates( 8-9 dates)
- 1 cup figs( 7-8 figs)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 2 Tablespoons high fat oil. I used canola.. coconut oil would do too( used to make this with ghee).
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder (optional)
- Coarsely grind dry almonds and cashews and keep aside.
- Soak the dates and figs in hot water for about an hour.
- Blend them coarsely using some of the water used for soaking.
- In a large pan, heat oil at low heat until melted. Spread oil to cover all of the pan.
- Add in the date fig mixture and cook at low heat stirring occasionally for 20 minutes.
- Add in the almond and cashews and keep cooking on low heat until the mixture starts to leave the sides of the pan. Use more almonds and cashews if the mixture is too flowy.
- Add a little cardamom powder or other spices like vanilla, nutmeg or saffron according to your taste preference. I added only cardamom. Taste and adjust sweetness. Add some brown sugar if you want the mixture to be more sweet.
- Mix well and spread the mixture on a well greased pan.
- Let cool, refrigerate for an hour and slice.
- Keep refrigerated for a couple of days if it does last that long!.
- You can also reserve some of the almond cashew mix and sprinkle it on the greased pan and on the mixture so the fudge pieces are less sticky. Roasted poppy seeds can also be used for topping.