Another eggplant version that ends up on our dinner menu quite often. Simple and quick dish with potatoes and spices.
Checkout some other eggplant dishes on the blog like Marwari stuffed Baingan(Indian eggplants stuffed with onions, spices and chili pickle)and Baingan Bharta(Roasted Mashed Large Eggplant).
Below picture, everything added and mixed well with spices and ready to cook for 20 minutes.
One Year Back: Potato and Mung Bean Sprout Burgers
Baingan Aloo(Spiced Eggplant Potato Indian Recipe)
- 4-5 small indian eggplants chopped
- 2 medium potatoes cubed
- 2 Teaspoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 tespoon cumin powder
- pinch of asofetida (hing)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder(haldi)
- 5 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon ginger chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic chopped( 3 cloves)
- 1 Serrano chili pepper chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 tomato chopped(optional)
- Cilantro for garnish
- In a large pan, heat oil on medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add in the mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Add in the curry leaves and hing and give it a mix
- Add in the coriander seeds, cumin powder, ginger, garlic and chili and cook for 2 minutes
- Add in the potatoes and turmeric and mix well to coat. Cook for 2-3 minutes
- Add in the eggplants, tomato and salt and mix well to coat with all the spices.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally. I like my eggplants well cooked so i cook the dish for a few minutes longer. My mom likes hers just about done and not very mashed, so she cooks on low heat and doesnt stir it much.
- Serve hot garnished with freshly chopped cilantro leaves, with Rotis or Naan and a side dish of Daal(lentil curry)
Nutrition Facts: Amount per serving
Calories: 157.8 kcal
Water 161.03 g
Carbohydrate* (55%) 22.43 g
Protein (4%) 2.44 g
Total Fat (41%) 7.26 g
Monounsaturated 4.14 g
Polyunsaturated 2.16 g
Saturated 0.55 g
Dietary Fibre 3.22 g
Vitamin A 314.06 IU
Thiamin 0.15 mg
Riboflavin 0.04 mg
Niacin 1.74 mg
Pantothenic acid 0.53 mg
Vitamin B6 0.32 mg
Folate 22.53 mcg
Vitamin C 24.46 mg
Vitamin E 1.78 mg ATE
Calcium 13.47 mg
Iron 0.77 mg
Magnesium 28.01 mg
Phosphorus 58.55 mg
Potassium 487.31 mg
Sodium 312.11 mg