Baingan Aloo is a quick and easy eggplant recipe with potatoes and spices. A vegan recipe that the whole family will love! Jump to Recipe
Baingan Aloo(Spiced Eggplant Potato Indian Recipe)
- 4-5 (4 ) small indian eggplants chopped
- 2 medium potatoes cubed
- 2 Teaspoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) coriander seeds
- 1/2 (0.5 ) tespoon cumin powder
- pinch of asofetida hing
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) turmeric powder haldi
- 5 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon ginger chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic chopped 3 cloves
- 1 Serrano chili pepper chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt or to taste
- 1 (1 ) tpmato chopped optional
- Cilantro for garnish
- In a large pan, heat oil on medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add in the mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Add in the curry leaves and hing and give it a mix
- Add in the coriander seeds, cumin powder, ginger, garlic and chili and cook for 2 minutes
- Add in the potatoes and turmeric and mix well to coat. Cook for 2-3 minutes
- Add in the eggplants, tomato and salt and mix well to coat with all the spices.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally. I like my eggplants well cooked so i cook the dish for a few minutes longer. My mom likes hers just about done and not very mashed, so she cooks on low heat and doesnt stir it much.
- Serve hot garnished with freshly chopped cilantro leaves, with Rotis or Naan and a side dish of Daal(lentil curry)