VeganMofo Post 17. Mom’s recipe! In our north indian diet, we eat a bunch of different types of whole beans, peas and lentils cooked in simmered sauces of only onion or tomato or both, with different spice combinations and such and served with whole grain flat breads like Roti/chapati or with hot Basmati Rice, Indian pickles, salads and other condiments.
So that is where we get out protein! (answering the age old question by non vegans about where we get our protein!:))
Black Eyed Pea Curry Indian Recipe
There are some bean curries already on the blog .. Red Kidney Beans Curry and multiple versions of Chickpea curry(Chana masala).
You can convert this black eyed pea curry into a hearty soup, by mashing it a bit and addition of some chopped celery and potato and serve hot with garlic bread! Have and amazing day since it is also my Birthday! I am thinking of having a giveaway on the blog, have not decided what yet.. keep an eye out..:)
- In a blender, add 3 medium chopped tomatoes, ginger, garlic, chili, lemon juice. Blend into a paste and keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker, add oil and onions.
- Cook until onions are translucent. Add in the spices, asofetida, garam masala or chana masala blend and mix well.
- Add in the tomato puree and cook on medium low, partially covered with occasional stirring until the paste thickens and starts to leave oil (about 15-20 minutes)
- Add in the salt, sugar and 1.5 cups water depending on your preference for thick or thin curry. Add in drained black eyed peas.
- Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles. (or if you dont have a pressure cooker, then use canned or soak the black eyed peas for a whole day till they sprout and then cook covered until the peas are easily mashable).
- Let the pressure cooker release pressure by itself( 5 minutes). Adjust salt. Add more masala spice blend and chili flakes per taste. Mix well.
- Serve hot topped with lemon wedges, cilantro and Rotis or Naans(Indian flat breads) or Basmati Rice! Have a fun day!
- No Pressure cooker: Add 2 cups water, salt, soaked black eyed peas to the tomato mixture in a deep pan. Cover and cook on low-medium for about an hour. Stir once or twice in between. Mash some black eyed peas, adjust water if needed. Serve hot.