Vegan Chana Masala/Chole (Chickpea Curry)
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1/2 (0.5 ) medium onion chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) turmeric powder
- pinch of asafetida hing
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 inch ginger chopped can be substituted with ginger paste
- 3-4 cloves (3 cloves) of garlic peeled and chopped can be substituted with garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) red chili flakes or green chili to taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 14 oz (396.89 g) garbanzo beans washed and drained or 1 cup dry chickpeas soaked overnight and pressure cooked for 4-5 whistles.
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon Chana Masala powder or to taste Recipe below or use the chana/chole masala blend from indian store.
- In a blender, add 3 medium chopped tomatoes, ginger, garlic, chili, lemon juice, 1/4 can garbanzo beans(1/4 cup cooked chickpeas). Blend into a paste and keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker, add oil and onions. Switch on saute or over medium heat if it is a stove top pressure cooker.
- Cook until onions are translucent. Add in the spices, asofetida, chana masala blend and mix well.
- Add in the tomato puree and cook on medium low, partially covered with occasional stirring until the paste thickens and starts to leave oil (about 15 minutes)
- Add in the salt and remaining garbanzo beans and 1 to 1.5 cups water depending on your preference for thick or thin curry.
- Pressure cook for 2 whistles(10 minutes). or cook covered until chickpeas are easily mashable.
- Let the pressure cooker release pressure by itself(5 minutes). Adjust salt. Add more chana masala blend and chili flakes per taste. Mix well.
- Serve hot topped with chopped onions, lemon wedges, cilantro and Rotis or Naans or Basmati Rice!
- Saucepan: Use canned or slow cooker cooked chickpeas, or dry chickpeas soaked overnight. In a deep pan, make the tomato onion mixture as above. Add the chickpeas and 2 cups of water and cook for an hour or so, covered, until the chickpeas are tender. Mash some chickpeas and let cook for another 5-10 minutes uncovered. Adjust water for preferred consistency.
Chana Masala Spice blend/curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) Hing/Asofoetida
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) Nutmeg powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) Dry ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) green cardamom elaichi powder
- 1 teaspoon Pomegranate seeds powder/Anardana Or 1 teaspoon dry mango powder/Amchur
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) rock salt/kala namak
- 1 big Bay leaf/ Tej Patta
- 1 Tablespoon Coriander/dhania seeds
- 2 teaspoons Cumin/jeera seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) fennel/Saunf
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) Black pepper corns kali mirch dane or to taste
- 1/3 teaspoon (0.33 teaspoon) clove/laung 3-4 cloves
- 1 Dry red chili
- 1 stick Cinammon/dal chini or 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 2 teaspoons Dry Fenugreek leaves Kasturi methi or 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- On a thick bottom pan dry roast ingredients one at a time on low-medium heat till you can smell their aroma and coriander seeds start to turn brown. Stir almost constantly. (3-5 minutes)
- Cool this mix and grind with the other ingredients. Adjust the spice(chili), and sour(pomegranate seeds and rock salt) to taste. We add a bit more spice and mom adds another teaspoon of dry mango powder for a more sour masala blend.
- Store in airtight container for a few months.