Besan Chilla /Puda (chickpea flour Omelette/pancake) and savory french toasts. vegan, glutenfree

Add Video

The theme for this month is definitely more focused on breakfast.. in part because I got a bit bored of pancakes, breads, toasts, oatmeal and other mostly sweet oriented options. So when mom was visiting, I made it a point to take a few pictures, ended up with a very few actually. :). of the savory options. Only moms can make perect chilla/puda. perfectly round, perfectly done.:) Chilla or Puda as we call it is another one of the staple breakfasts at home.. made with chickpea flour(besan), sometimes in combination with wheat or rice flour or semolina, with added veggies of choice.
Chilla if made with only chickpea flour is glutenfree. Pictured with the chilla above is the Diwali oil lamp and almond milk Chai. This year we celebrated Diwali with ma n pa after 11 years!

A fluffier Veggie Omelette version on the new post here.
Other soy free Omelettes here

The chilla we make, is like a thick soft crepe (more like a Dosa). You can tweak the consistency to make a thicker batter for a more pancakey and soft chilla or a thin crisp crepe.

Directions: Makes 3-4
Take 2/3 cup chickpea flour and add 1/4 tsp turmeric, 1/4 tsp rock salt(kala namak), 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste, 1/8 teaspoon asofetida(hing, optional), 1 teaspoon oil and about 1/2-2/3 cup water and mix well to get a lump free batter. (add cumin powder or coriander powder for variations).
Add in 1/4 cup chopped red onion, 1 tsp grated ginger, 1 green chili finely chopped or to taste and a couple of tablespoons of finely chopped cilantro.
Heat a thick bottom pan on medium high heat until hot, spread a little oil on the pan.
Drop a ladleful of the batter and spread it around either by using the ladle in circular motion like a crepe, or just moving the pan to make 5-7 inch diameter. Put a few drops of oil on the edges.
Cook chilla on medium heat for 5-7 minutes until golden. Flip and cook for another few minutes till brown spots appear.
Serve hot with ketchup, sriracha, cilantro chutney or other sauces.
When short on time, I blend the veggies, ginger and all the ingredients in a blender to make a quick batter and use it:) No chopping needed!

Other veggies that we add.. grated carrot, finely chopped tomato, scallions, shallots, grated cauliflower, zucchini, potato, mushrooms, spinach, chard and more. Add a few Tablespoons of rice flour for crispy chilla. You can watch a Video on how to make a chilla with zucchini here.

I also use this same batter to make Savory french toasts (Bread pakora). Make the batter. Dip the breads in the batter and pan fry them on non stick pan with little oil, on medium hot, about 3-5 minutes on each side depending on size. Serve hot topped with daiya or as is with ketchup or chutneys! Use gf bread for a gf french toasts.

Have a great balanced breakfast everyday.

And this is my new iphone cover.. old school.. but I love it!

Comments

You saved my day Richa..I was going to make upma again for today’s breakfast but now I am heading towards kitchen to make these. Have got some tomato chutney in fridge which will go well with this. Thanks !

Oh man, this blows my rice cake with almond butter and jelly breakfast out of the water. Kick your mom out of my room, I’ll be there soon

haha, awesome iPhone case! If I wasn’t old fashioned and had an iPhone like this instead of my mini flip phone brick, I would have to have a case like that for sure!

I think I’m going to make this chilla for breakfast on Sunday too :)

Thanks Gigi, hehe.. yeah i make these these but never get time to clickpics and mine arent as prettyly round anyway!:)

Thanks isolbelle.. yeah i know.. i love that iphone case! its fun when you take it out and start calling with people around.:D

Thanks Anu.

Thanks for this delicious recipe! tried it this morning and it came really nice. I also tried a batch with the wheat flour with only lil chicpea flour, and that was good too. thanks again!

i love these savory chickpea pancakes. mmmm! i love how versatile besan is! i think every culture has their version! in korean culture, they use flour with scallions, sesame oil, and soy sauce!

I made this recipe tonight and my whole family loved dinner! Just recently we discovered Kala Namak and have been experimenting a bit. What a great addition for a vegan diet! Thanks so much for all your work on this blog and the great recipes!

Awesome! I am so happy that you tried it and everyone liked it..Thank you for dropping by and letting me know! yes, Kala namak is fun. Add it fruits with lemon juice and pepper for a perfect summer salad!

I just had this for lunch and it was so easy, quick, and delicious!

The fillings were modified heavily based on what was in my fridge: minced garlic, minced ginger, corn, frozen peas, finely chopped carrots, curry powder, coriander, garam masala, paprika, and nutritional yeast. Delicious drizzled with siracha and tahini. So filling and cheap to boot.