This chickpea flour omlette is full of veggie goodness and one hundred percent vegan and gluten free. A quick and easy recipe Jump to Recipe
Its an egg, its tofu, no its just a very allergy friendly, soy free, I cant believe this is an omellette. Pardon my attempt at humor. I am super sleepy:) I just finished watching the amazing Gabby win the Gold, such a proud moment and then Phelps… this guy Phelps. He is such a fantastic athlete. I had a crush on him all through Beijing…
( Testing 1 2 3.. testing to see if hubbs reads my posts 😉
Omelette with thicker batter. (additional chickpea flour)
This Omelette is made of chickpea flour. The flax meal and oat flour add some volume and eggy slickness to the batter. Lots of veggies and a hint of black salt make this a perfect non egg smell, versatile omelette base. So here comes The Denver, The Seattle, The Californian, The colarado, The country!.. omelette variations 😉
This version is adapted from my Chilla– chickpea flour crepes with indian spices, that we usually eat on the weekends. Chilla is a thinner batter consistency and not leavened.
Pictured on this post, with onions, tomatoes, green bell pepper, carrot, spinach and arugula, leavened a little and made into one fluffy breakfast. Some mushrooms would be scrumptious in this. Add salt to taste. Err on the side of using less, since I do like mine more salty.
Mix in flaxmeal and water and let sit for 5 minutes.
Add salt, spices, oat flour
Add veggies, chopped small, as many as you want.
Drop the entire batter on a large, lightly greased, heated non stick pan on medium heat.
Cover and cook on medium for 7-8 minutes.
Fluffyy. drop a few drops on oil on the edges. Continue to cook for 5-7 minutes. Check for doneness. It might break apart if you try to flip too soon( depends on the consistency of the batter and thickness of the omelette).
Flip and cook uncovered for another 4-5 minutes.
Serve hot! deliciousness..
Gluten, Soy, nut, egg, dairy free
Servings: 1 serving
- 1 Tablespoon flaxmeal
- 1 Tablespoon Oat flour or omit
- 1/3 cup (40 g) chickpea flour besan
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) salt
- a generous pinch of black salt/kala namak 1/8 teaspoon
- a generous pinch of garlic powder 1/8 teaspoon
- pinch of turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) baking powder
- a few Tablespoons each of chopped onion bell peppers, tomato, carrots( 1/3 to 1/2 cup total veggies)
- 1/2 (0.5 ) Jalapeno or serano chili pepper finely chopped or use black pepper/cayenne to taste
- 1/4 cup (7.5 g) packed chopped spinach or greens
- In a bowl, add flaxmeal and warm 1/4 cup water.
- whisk and let sit for 5 minutes. Prep the veggies.
- Mix baking powder in the chickpea flour.
- Add in the chickpea flour, oat flour, salt, spices and 1/4 cup more water and mix. and whisk for half a minute to combine well and to help the batter get airy.
- (Or use garfava(garbanzo and fava bean flour), instead of flax,oat, chickpea. Mix in baking powder in garfava flour and add water. garfava makes a thicker mixture and a fatter fluffier omelette. you might need additional water if the batter is too thick)
- Add the veggies, jalapeno, greens and fold in well.
- Heat a non stick pan at medium heat and grease a little.
- Drop the batter on the hot pan and tap once or twice to spread. (Or use spatula to spread the veggies a bit)
- Cover with a lid and cook for 7 minutes.
- Take lid off, add a few drops of oil on the edges, cook for another 5-7 minutes(depends on the consistency of the batter).
- Flip and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Add more greens and/or non dairy cheese, fold and serve with ketchup, toasts and hash browns.
If making a larger batch, or keeping the batter sitting for long, the veggies will leak some moisture into the batter. Check consistency and Whisk a few teaspoons of chickpea flour into the batter to thicken, just before making the next omelette. (This quantity can also make 2 medium-small omelettes. They will cook faster and will be easier to flip) Nutritional values based on one serving
Amount Per Serving
Calories 251 Calories from Fat 54
% Daily Value*
Vitamin A 3110IU62%
Vitamin C 105.5mg128%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
This fluffy omelette is being shared at Ricki’s wellness weekend, Healthy Vegan Fridays, Whole foods friday, Cybelles Allergy Friendly Friday