This creamy masala curry, is a perfect addition to a cozy dinner, served hot with Indian Naan Bread or Basmati Rice. Depending on your spice preference, reduce the spice a bit and serve it with Naan bread or Rice or over cooked Quinoa. The curry is glutenfree. To make soy free, use seitan or cubed soy free patties or chunky veggies.Tikka Masala, butter masala , Makhani are curries often used interchangeably in restaurants. These are not totally authentic Indian cuisine. The origins of the tikka masala stem from butter masala/makhani versions from Punjab, North India and Pakistan. Meat Tikka masalas or Paneer(cottage Cheese) Tikka masala are a staple in most restaurants now.
The base curry is very similar. Makhani or butter masala. is usually the creamier version with more butter and fresh cream or cashew paste.
Tikka Masala. is the tangyier version with more tomatoes/tomato paste.
For more Indian Curries, gravies, Stews see the Collection here.
Tempeh Tikka Masala with Kale
- 4 oz Tempeh cut into small cubes,about ¾ cup
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder or cayenne
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 2 tsp nondairy yogurt
- 2 teaspoons organic canola oil
- ½ teaspoon garam masala or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon paprika or Kashmiri mirch
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- a generous pinch of asafoetida(hing)
- 1 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves (methi)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ medium onion chopped small (1/3 cup)
- ½ cup finely chopped Kale leaves or greens of choice
- 3 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1 inch ginger
- 5-6 cloves of garlic
- 1 green chili or to taste
- ½ teaspoon raw sugar
- 2 Tablespoons So Delicious plain greek yogurt or 3 -4 tbsp non dairy yogurt
- 3-5 Tablespoons almond milk or non dairy milk of choice(nut milks work best)
- Mix all the ingredients of the marinade and add Tempeh.
- Cook the mixture in pan over low-medium heat, partially covered for 15-20 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed by the tempeh.
- Once the tempeh is dry, add a teaspoon of oil and toss on medium for 2-3 minutes, until the edges of the tempeh become golden. Take off heat and keep aside.
- Meanwhile, in a deep medium pan, add 2 teaspoons oil and heat over medium.
- Add the onion and cook for 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally till it becomes translucent and golden.
- Add the spices (turmeric, coriander powder, hing, garam masala, paprika and fenugreek leaves) and mix well. Add Kale, mix and cook for another minute.
- Blend the tomatoes, ginger, garlic and chili into a smooth puree.
- Add the puree to the onion mixture and cook over low-medium heat for 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally, until the mix thickens, comes together and leaves oil on the sides.
- Add the crisp tempeh, and non dairy greek yogurt, salt and sugar and mix well.Taste and adjust spices, salt.
- Add almond milk to get the curry consistency you like. Mix well and bring to a boil on low medium heat.
- Take off heat, serve hot topped with fresh chopped cilantro, with Indian flat breads (Roti/Naan) or Basmati rice.
You can also freeze the sauce. Make the sauce, add non dairy yogurt at step 6 (dont add the non dairy milk) and simmer for a few minutes to thicken. cool and freeze. Thaw, add non dairy milk as needed and simmer with the veggies, tofu, chickpeas, beans, lentils etc or whatever you want to make the tikka masala of.