Vegan Naan Recipe. This is a super puffy soft Best Vegan Naan bread. Make plain Naans, Garlic Naans or Avocado Naan or stuffed. Bake it in an oven or cook on stove top. Cauliflower Stuffed Naan is like a paratha calzone. Dairy-free Indian flat bread Recipe Jump to Recipe
There are several types of indian flat breads.. some leavened like Naan, some unleavened like Roti/Chapati or stuffed unleavened like Parathas. The flatbreads that are served with everyday Indian food at home are generally simple Roti and Parathas. There are very few days when I make Naan at home, usually special occasions. Naan is a soft bread that uses yeast to leaven and generally contains yogurt, butter and other additions as eggs depending on the restaurant and the recipes. This vegan naan uses non dairy yogurt to make an amazing vegan version. It is soft, fluffy and a perfect carrier for all curries and spicy dishes. Naans can be baked or made on a skillet (tawa) on the stove. See all options in the recipe.
The dough can be rolled out and cooked partially and frozen as well. To reheat, brush with some oil or vegan butter and reheat on a skillet to char.
Vegan Naan Recipe - Plain, Garlic or Avocado Naan bread. Dairy-free Indian flatbread
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) warm water
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp active dry yeast
- 4 cups or more (550+ gms) bread flour or unbleached white flour
- 1.5 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) organic canola, safflower or coconut oil
- 3/4 cup (6.5 oz) plain non dairy yogurt, unsweetened or lightly sweetened, at room temperature for plain naan, Or use 3/4 cup very well mashed very ripe Avocado for Avocado Naan
- 1 to 2 Tbsp canola or coconut oil for cooking
- Nigella seeds for garnish
Vegan Naan Dough:
- In a large mixing bowl, pour warm water and stir in the sugar. Sprinkle yeast on the water and let sit for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- In another bowl, combine, the flour with salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add 3 cups of the flour mixture, 3 Tbsp oil and 3/4 cup yogurt to the yeast bowl. Mix well to combine. Add more flour a few Tablespoons at a time to make a soft lightly sticky dough. Knead in the bowl or on a floured surface for 2 mins. The dough will get stickier if you knead too long.. (For Avocado Naan, start with 3 cups of flour. If your avocado was not ripe or moist enough, you might need some water while kneading.).
- Place the dough in the bowl. Drizzle a Tbsp of oil on the dough. Roll the dough to coat in oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or heavy kitchen towel and let sit to rise for 1.5 hours or until it doubles.
- Punch the dough down and use a Tbsp or more flour if needed to work for half a minute. Divide the dough into 8 pieces. Roll the dough balls lightly in flour and place on parchment. Cover with towel or another parchment and let sit for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Take each piece of dough, and roll/shape into 8 to 9 inch oval shape. roll and handle lightly to keep the dough airy. Dust lightly with flour to help with the rolling.
- Spritz the top of the Naan with water. Sprinkle Nigella seeds. Then brush or spray oil.
To Cook the Naan
- Pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place a pizza stone in the oven and let heat for half an hour.
- Place as many breads as the stone can accommodate. Bake 2-3 minutes till the breads puffs and top gets golden. Broil for half a minute to crisp/char.
Stove top (Tawa Naan)
- Use any cast iron girdle/skillet/grill pan, which can withstand high heat. Heat it on medium high until heated evenly.
- Place the naan with bottom on the pan.
- Cover with a lid (optional) and let cook on medium high till it starts to puff. 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and cook for another minute.
- To get charred Naan, hold the Naan directly over the gas flame with tongs for a few seconds to cook and char some spots.
- Serve hot, topped with vegan butter or canola oil, with any Indian curry, Daal and veggies. To store for a short time, wrap in a clean kitchen towel. To store for longer, cool completely and place in an airtight bag. Keep on the counter for upto 2 days and in the refrigerator for upto 7 days.
For garlic Naan
- Spritz water on the rolled Naan. Press 2 tsp of finely chopped garlic and a Tbsp chopped cilantro on the top along with the nigella seeds. Spray oil on the garlic. Cook according to instructions.
Coconut cream, cashew cream, silken tofu, Mashed ripe avocado, softened or thinned out vegan sour cream will work. Start with less flour and add more as needed to make a soft and slightly sticky dough. Proceed with the rest of the recipe. For storing instructions, oilfree option, see the second paragraph of the post.
Allergy Information: Dairy, egg, corn free recipe. Can be made soy and nut free.