I was thinking of posting a bread today, then decided to make some cheesy pasta for lunch instead and hence the post. mmmm.. mmmmm.. Most days my confort food is things like Gobi Aloo or daal chawal(daal and rice) or rajma chawal( red kidney beans curry and rice).. but there are days when I or hubbs get a pasta craving.
- 1 cup uncooked Pasta I used spinach and tomato shells
- 2 teaspoons organic canola oil
- 1/2 cup cherry or grape tomatoes or regular chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion slices
- 1-2 teaspoons chipotle pepper flakes to taste, add mroe later if needed
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1/3 heaping cup grated Cauliflower
- 3/4 cup water substitute half with non dairy milk for creamier sauce
- 1.5 Tablespoon ground raw cashew or use other thickening options, a few Tablespoons cornstarch or flour for a nutfree sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (less or more to taste)
- Topping: 1 Tablespoon coarsely ground raw cashew or bread crumbs mixed with nutritional yeast flakes to taste
Cook the pasta according to instruction.
In a large pan, add 2 teaspoons oil and heat on medium high.
Drop in halved cherry tomatoes, or cubed regular tomatoes and onion slices.
Arrange them in one layer and cook for 8-10 minutes until caramelized to your preference. (You can also roast the tomatoes in the oven at 450 degrees for 20+ minutes. * To make oil-free, dry roast the tomatoes and onions in the oven till slightly caramelized. Or you can cook them on medium heat in evoo for a non scorched taste. )
Add chipotle pepper flakes, garlic powder and black pepper to the pan and mix for a few seconds.
Add the grated cauliflower, salt and water and bring to a boil. (add more grated cauliflower for thicker sauce. You can also use small chopped cauliflower. Cover and cook till tender)
Let the mixture cool a bit. (If using flour or starch, add to the boiling mixture and mix well).
Blend this mixture with ground cashew and nutritional yeast, into a smooth paste and return to the pan.
Add the pasta, toss, taste and adjust salt, spice, nutritional yeast, mix and bring to a boil on low-medium.(2 minutes)
Remove from heat. Let it sit for a minute before serving.
Top with coarsely ground cashew or bread crumbs mixed in with nutritional yeast for a cheesy sprinkle or any non dairy cheese before serving.
You can also add roasted veggies, blanched broccoli or greens to make this a complete meal
Nutritional values based on one serving