Aloo Bharta, Bhorta, Chokha, bhaate are various names of similar mashed potato dish from different regions in India (from Bengal, Rajasthan, Bihar and other states). Mashed Potatoes are spiced and flavored depending on the the region, state, family, personal preference and served as side with dals and rice.
These mashed potatoes are lightly spiced, generally flavored with mustard oil. They are generally not made creamy with milk or butter or served with gravy. They are just spiced mashed potatoes. Often they are served as a scoop or ball for portion control. I mean mashed potatoes, in any form are addictive. You can also add some cumin, cayenne and garam masala to your favorite mashed potato recipe for a creamy spiced version.
This recipe uses mustard oil. You can use any other neutral oil and add ground mustard to taste. Or temper mustard seeds in hot oil until the seeds begin to pop and use the oil to flavor the potatoes. You can get mustard oil from Indian stores or online on Amazon- pure Mustard Oil. You can also use sweet potatoes. To use up leftover aloo bharta, shape into patties and pan fry over medium heat to serve as snack or breakfast.
More potato recipes from the blog
- Crunchy Spicy Potatoes!
- Peanut Butter Tofu Bowl with the Best Mashed Potatoes.
- Garam masala Potatoes
- Potatoes in tomato curry
- Spiced Cauliflower Potato Peas
Cook and mash the potatoes really well. Combine all the ingredients. Taste and adjust salt and spice. Scoop into individual servings.
Or serve in a bowl warm, topped with vegan butter or olive oil.
- 3 medium potatoes (yukon gold or red)
- 1 tsp mustard oil
- ¼ cup finely chopped chopped red onion
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- ½ tsp or more roasted ground cumin
- ½ tsp coriander
- ¼ tsp or more cayenne/red chili powder
- ¼ tsp or more black pepper
- ½ tso or more salt to taste
- 1 to 2 Tbsp water
- a few Tbsp chopped cilantro or scallion
- Cook the potatoes. Boil, microwave or pressure cook(14 to 16 minutes) until well cooked.
- Peel if desired and mash well until very smooth.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix in. Add a Tbsp or so water if needed to smooth out the mixture.
- Taste salt and spice. Serve warm topped with vegan butter or olive oil and black pepper.
Or heat 1 tsp neutral oil in a skillet over medium heat. When hot, add ¼ to ½ tsp mustard seeds and wait until they start to pop. Drizzle the tempered oil and seeds into the mashed potatoes. For variation, use cumin seeds to temper the oil.