On a Jackfruit roll with this easy Jackfruit Curry. Simple, well spiced and delicious!
Young Green Jackfruit is available in canned form in brine in Asian stores and some larger Indian stores. It is also available online on amazon or Indian stores. Jackfruit is called “Kathal” in Hindi which might be the name used in Indian stores. You might also be able to find the whole Green Jackfruit in the grocery section in asian stores or Indian stores depending on the store and season. Call and check before heading to the store as it is much cheaper in the stores than online.
Jackfruit has been used for ages in some cuisines. It is the largest tree borne fruit in the world and is rich in Vitamin C, B6 and potassium. It has a meaty interior with a mild flavor. The seeds of the fruit are edible too.
This Jackfruit curry uses a few spices. Use any that you have and add some garam masala. Cook longer to infuse the Jackfruit with flavor. Serve with rice, quinoa, couscous, flatbread or cooked grains of choice.
More easy curries and Jackfruit recipes from the blog
- Jackfruit Meatballs Tacos
- Cauliflower Kofta Curry -Baked Cauliflower Veggie Balls in sauce
- Tofu in Spinach curry – Palak tofu
- No Chicken Dhaba Chikn curry.
Whats your favorite way to serve Jackfruit?
For variation: You can also make this curry with cooked beans or chickpeas, or use shredded squash or vegan chikn subs.
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp nigella seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 dried red chilies
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 inch ginger chopped
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes pureed, or 1.5 cups puree
- 1 20 oz can green Jackfruit, drained and rinsed (see the first part of the post for availability details)
- ½ to ¾ tsp salt or to taste
- 1 to 1.5 cups water
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. When hot, add cumin, mustard and nigella seeds and let them start to sizzle or pop. 1 minute. Add bay leaves and red chilies and cook for a few seconds. Add in the onion, garlic and ginger and a pinch of salt. Cook until translucent. 5 to 6 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add coriander, turmeric, black pepper and mix well. Add pureed tomato, salt and Jackfruit. Mix. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and cook for a few minutes to thicken the tomato puree. Also, shred the Jackfruit a bit if you like.
- Add water, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Taste and adjust salt and spice. Reduce heat to medium low and cover and cook for another 10 minutes or longer until desired consistency. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
To make in a Pressure Cooker/Instant Pot: Follow steps 1 and 2 on saute mode in IP or Pressure cooker. Add tomato puree and cook for 2 minutes, then add jackfruit, salt and water. Close the lid and pressure cook for 7 to 8 minutes once the cooker comes to pressure (manual 8 mins on IP). Wait for natural release. Shred the cooked jackfruit with a spatula if you wish and serve.