Jackfruit Veggie Ball Tacos or Subs. Use these “meatballs” anywhere! Vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, yeast-free, nut-free recipe.
Jackfruit has been the in thing for a while this year. Shredded young jackfruit, smothered in any thick sauces like bbq, served with the toppings of choice! Jackfruit, also called “Kathal” in hindi has been used in many forms in Indian food. It was already called the vegetarian meat way back when Mom would make a jackfruit based saucy curry. This humble vegetable is getting its due.
I wanted to use jackfruit in some other form, so I made it into these veggie balls! Just 2 main ingredients. Jackfruit and chickpea flour, plus of course loads of spices. Serve these with marinara or other sauces and melt some vegan cheese over it!
Young green jackfruit pieces are boiled in water with some spices to soften and infuse with flavor. Then they are shredded and mixed with roasted chickpea flour, more spices, garlic and ginger and made into balls. These balls can be pan fried or baked. I prefer the pan fried as they stay more moist. I was out of sub sandwiches, so I made these into tacos. These Jackfruit balls made fantastic veggie ball subs, or veggie balls to serve over pasta and more.
More fun recipes from the blog
- Vegan Tinga bowl with Hearts of Palm, Chickpeas, Spanish…
- Vegan Mummy Dogs. Veggie Potato Masala Cutlets Recipe
- Pulled Butternut Squash Tacos. Vegan Glutenfree Recipe
Oh yes “meatballs”. The most often searched term even if searching for veggie version is “veggie meatball” not veggie ball. These certain terms have to be used to get people to the post. So everyone vegan or not can find a veggie ball recipe! Meat doesn’t mean animal. Its a term also used for any internal stuff of other things, like coconut meat.
Have you all heard of Brush with Bamboo? Brush with bamboo is an eco-friendly toothbrush with bio-degradable bamboo handles, bpa free bristles, and completely compostable packaging.
Over 4.7 billion plastic toothbrushes that will never biodegrade are dumped in landfills and oceans every year worldwide! These toothbrushes and parts pose a huge plastic pollution problem for the environment. We use so many brushes in our lifetime, that this one change to a sustainable eco friendly option will make a difference.
Today, the amazing team at Brush with Bamboo is giving away a bunch of brushes to the blog readers (US only)! 4 winners will each get a 2 pack set of brushes! to Enter, please leave a comment on the post about your opinion on plastic brushes. Ends July 1
Meanwhile, we continue with the regular post of these fantastic jackfruit balls.
Jackfruit Meatballs Tacos
For the jackfruit:
- 20 oz (566.99 g) can jackfruit drained (green jackfruit in brine), or about 2 cups pelled chopped green jackfruit
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) salt
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) garlic powder
For the Veggie balls:
- 1 cup (120 g) chickpea flour
- 1 hot green chili finely chopped or use cayenne to taste
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) garam masala
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) paprika
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) cumin powder
- 1/3 to 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp finely chopped mint optional or cilantro, or use 1/2 tsp dried fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi)
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) lemon juice
- 1.5 tbsp garlic paste or crushed garlic
- 1 tbsp ginger paste or grated ginger
- 1 tsp oil + more as needed
- For the jackfruit: Combine all the ingredients (jackfruit + water + spices) in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high heat. about 6 minutes. Cook for another 6 to 7 minutes. Total 14 minutes.
- Cool slightly, drain and keep aside.
- For the Veggie Balls: Meanwhile, dry roast 1 cup of chickpea flour in a large skillet over medium low heat. Stir every 2 minutes. about 7 to 8 minutes. or dry roast over medium heat and stir every 30 seconds to avoid burning. 4 to 5 minutes. The flour should start to smell nutty and change color slightly. Keep aside.
- Using a fork or a food processor shred the boiled and drained jackfruit. Add the spices, ginger, garlic, oil and mix well. Add 3/4 cup chickpea flour and mix well. Add a tbsp flour at a time until the mixture starts to come together, not too sticky, but also not dry. Oil your hands and Shape the mixture by pressing lightly into 1 inch balls.
- To pan fry, add 1 to 2 tsp oil in a skillet and heat over medium high heat. When hot, add the jackfruit balls and pan fry for 1-2 minutes on all sides. (total 6 to 7 minutes).
- To Bake: Preheat the oven to 410 degrees F / 210ºc. Place the shaped balls on parchment lined baking sheet. Brush oil on top. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes.
- I like these balls pan-fried. Serve with marinara and vegan mozzarella in sub sandwich or tacos or over pasta.
We are giving away Brush with Bamboo toothbrushes on this post to 4 people(US only)! To Enter, please leave a comment on the post about your opinion on plastic brushes.
You can buy some to use right now! Use code “veganricha” on brushwithbamboo.com to get 10% off + Free Shipping on your order.