Jackfruit is the thing these days and starting to appear in stores that we visit. I got a bunch of cans from the Indian store this past weekend. When I told Mom, she said, you guys will never learn the the intricacies of how to peel a real Jackfruit (kathal in hindi) from scratch, remove the seeds and so on, everything you get is always packaged. I know Mom, I try to reduce all the packaging, but then I have only so much energy to spend in the kitchen, so the packaged stuff makes it convenient some days. Also, Jackfruit can become a sticky mess!
Use other shreddable things like squash, soy curls, meat subs, or use beans of choice. See this Easy Jackfruit Curry Post for availability details.
Boil the jackfruit, then cook in spicy garlicky chipotle sauce until it picks up the flavors. Serve in tacos or sandwiches, dressed with avocado or guacamole and hot sauce.
More shredded things recipes from the blog.
- Easy Jackfruit Curry
- Vegan Tinga bowl with Hearts of Palm, Chickpeas, Spanish…
- Pulled Butternut Squash Tacos. Vegan Glutenfree Recipe
- Jackfruit Meatballs Tacos
Happy videos for the day. This wonderful video by MFA of farm animals experiencing freedom. Finally free.
Boil the jackfruit for 10 minutes. Shred and keep aside. Make the chipotle garlic black pepper sauce. When the sauce smells roasted, add shredded jackfruit, salt and water. Cook until the sauce reduces.
Serve in warm tortillas with avocado, lettuce, salsa and hot sauce.
- For the Spicy Jackfruit:
- 1 20 oz can of young green Jackfruit in brine, not ripe jackfruit in sugar syrup
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced or chopped
- 1 or 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 tbsp adobo sauce (use less or more to heat preference)
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- ½ tsp ancho chili powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp oregano
- 1¼ cup water, divided
- salt to taste
- To Serve:
- Soft Tacos or tortillas (vegan)
- Avocado or guacamole
- shredded lettuce
- vegan sour cream or salsa
- Drain the Jackfruit. Add to a saucepan with 3 cups of water, bring to a boil over medium heat and boil for 10 to 11 minutes. Drain, shred with a fork and keep aside. *You can skip this step and simmer the jackfruit in the sauce longer, Shred the jackfruit pieces midway during simmering when softened at Step 6.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and a pinch of salt and cook until translucent. Stir occasionally. About 4 minutes.
- Blend chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, garlic cloves, ketchup, ancho chili, black pepper, cumin, coriander, oregano, a with ¼ cup of water until smooth.
- Add the blended sauce to the onions and cook until the sauce thickens and smells roasted. Stir occasionally. About 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the shredded jackfruit, 1 cup water and salt. Mix well. cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir, reduce heat to medium,low and continue to cook until the sauce reduces and the jackfruit picks up the sauce flavor. 15 minutes or more. Taste and adjust salt, heat and sweet.
- Prep the toppings.
- Heat tortillas on a skillet or grill, add jackfruit. add lettuce or sprouts or greens of choice. Add avocado or guacamole, salsa or vegan sour cream and serve,