Shawarma Spiced Chickpea Sweet Potato Buddha Bowl w/ lemon tahini dressing. Nourishing Buddha bowl ready within minutes. Healthy filling meal with flavorful chickpeas, roasted veggies. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free Nut-free Recipe
I don’t know where and how buddha bowl originated. A bowl of simple delicious food with Loads of greens, veggies (roasted or raw), legumes or other protein and dressed or not.
Bowls of food are the norm these days. Everything I eat is somewhat like a bowl, but it is generally in a plate. We grew up eating bowl kind of stuff but in separated containers on a thaali (plate). When most of the food ends up in one big container. Voila bowl!
This bowl is full of roasted sweet potatoes and chickpeas. The chickpeas are spiced with my Shawarma spice blend. Use any spice blend of choice. Add zucchini or other seasonal squash(roasted) with greens of choice. Sweet Potatoes are roasted on the skillet with salt and cayenne. I also like cinnamon, or cumin + coriander on the sweet potatoes. Dress the bowl with this spicy tahini dressing, sprinkle salt and pepper/cayenne and done. Yes well, somedays some cayenne is what I feel like :). You know fall, congested sinuses.
More bowls from the blog
- Curried Kidney Bean Bowl with quinoa, zucchini, mango salsa
- Moroccan Chickpea Cauliflower Bowl with herb dressing
- Lentil Split Pea Falafel Bowl
- Masala Chickpea bowl with creamy chickpea dressing.
- Quinoa Cauliflower Bowl with almond Sriracha sauce
If you are local in Seattle, do drop by this fundraiser for Help animals India. HAI is the charity that I support with the blog. The fundraiser will have Dance performance by Culture Shakti, silent auction with many vegan vendors, Food Provided by Chaco Canyon, The Shop Agora, & Cupcake Royale!
Cook the chickpeas with spice and few tablespoons of water for 5 minutes over medium heat. Roast the sweet potatoes in the oven or in a skillet until done. Roast other veggies or squash if using in the skillet or in the oven.
Layer everything in the bowl. Make the tahini dressing. Taste and adjust to preference. Drizzle generously and serve.
Don’t have tahini, use sesame seeds. Toast 1/4 cup white sesame seeds on a skillet until lightly golden. Blend with other ingredients of the dressing.
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained or 1.5 cups cooked.
- 1 to 1.5 Tbsp Shawarma spice blend or use other spices or blend of choice like Ethiopian berbere or garam masala
- Salt to taste (depends on if the chickpeas were salted)
- 1 large sweet potato or 2 small sweet potatoes
- 2 to 3 tsp oil
- salt, pepper and cayenne to taste
- ¼ cup tahini
- 1 to 3 cloves of garlic
- juice of a lemon
- a generous pinch of sugar
- ½ tsp dried parsley
- ¼ to ½ tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp Sriracha hot sauce (optional or use less)
- Greens of choice. I used baby spinach
- 1 zucchini, sliced thin
- other raw or roasted veggies
- Make the Shawarma spiced Chickpeas: Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add oil and move the skillet to coat. Add spices, chickpeas and salt and mix. Cover and cook for a minute. Add a tbsp or so of water, cover and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until dry.
- To cook the Sweet potatoes in the skillet: Peel and slice the sweet potatoes to about ¼ inch thick. Heat the skillet over medium-low heat. When the skillet is hot, add a spray of oil. Place sweet potato slices on the skillet. Cover and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Flip, cover and cook for another 2 to 4 minutes or until tender to preference. Transfer to a bowl. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and cayenne. Repeat for the rest of the slices. Use other spices or flavors of choice. I like cinnamon + cayenne, shawarma, za'atar or cumin+ coriander+allspice.
- To roast the sweet potatoes in the oven: Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Peel and chop the sweet potato into large cubes. Toss with 2 to 3 tsp oil, salt, pepper and cayenne. Spread on parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes. ( You can toss the zucchini with salt and pepper and add to the tray in the last 10 minutes of baking with the sweet potatoes).
- Make the tahini dressing: Blend everything until smooth. Use a few Tbsp water if needed. Taste and adjust salt, tang and spice.
- Arrange the bowl as you like. Add greens of choice, Add roasted sweet potato, zucchini and spiced chickpeas. Drizzle with tahini dressing and serve.