Vegan Cauliflower Shawarma – Shawarma Spice Roasted Cauliflower in warm flatbreads with hummus & lemony tahini dressing. From scratch Shawarma Spice Blend. Easy Wraps or make a Bowl. Vegan Soy-free Recipe. Jump to Recipe
Mediterranean spice blends work wonders on the meat dishes so I decided to use it with veggies with amazing results! Make your own shawarma spice blend, cook the cauliflower(or other chunky vegetables), add the spices mixed in a little oil, roast and use. The cauliflower can also be baked and used. For higher protein, use cooked beans or chickpeas or tofu instead.
The warmly spiced cauliflower is paired with a good slather of hummus, garnished with lemony tahini dressing, cooling tomatoes and cucumber. These wraps disappear very quickly! Use my regular wheat Pita breads or yeast-free flatbreads.
Deep flavors from cumin, coriander, cinnamon and cardamom work beautifully in this wrap. Make a bigger helping of the Shawarma spice blend to add to veggies and beans for a quick meal fix!
More quick meals from the blog
- Moroccan Chickpea Cauliflower Bowl with Herb sauce.
- Spicy Baked Cauliflower Bites with Celery Ranch. Vegan…
- Spicy Chickpea Lentil Burgers
- Baked Lentil Split Pea Falafel Bowl with Tahini dressing.
Warm the pitas, Slather hummus on the pitas. Add roasted cauliflower.
Add tomatoes and cucumber. Drizzle tahini sauce and cilantro or parsley. Serve!
Vegan Cauliflower Shawarma - Spice Roasted Cauliflower with hummus and tahini
Shawarma spice blend: easily doubled or tripled
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) paprika
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) ground cardamom
- 1/8 tsp (0.13 tsp) ground cloves
- a generous pinch of nutmeg and allspice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 small head of cauliflower chopped into florets
- 1/4 cup (62.5 ml) water
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/3 to 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) garlic granules or 1 tsp garlic paste
- Shawarma spice blend all of the above or 1 tablespoon or more or other Mediterranean blend of choice
- Mix all the spices and keep aside. use a blender if using any whole spices. Prep the rest of the ingredients and tahini dressing.
- In a large skillet, add cauliflower florets, water and salt and cover and cook over medium heat for 12 to 14 minutes or until al dente (just about cooked through). Stir once in between.
- In 2 tsp oil, mix in 2 to 3 tsp of the spice blend, garlic and cayenne. Pour the oil on the cauliflower. Toss well to coat and cook for 2 minutes or more until the spices start to smell roasted. Stir occasionally. Taste and adjust salt and heat.
- Warm the pita, add a good helping on hummus and spread. Add warm cauliflower to the pitas, add tomatoes, cucumber, greens. Drizzle tahini sauce. Sprinkle cilantro or parsley. Serve.
- Variations: Make this with chickpeas or other cooked beans: Add oil and spices to a pan and cook until the oil is hot. Add cooked chickpeas, salt, garlic, cayenne, toss to coat and cover and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until heated well. Use to fill pita breads.
- Roast the cauliflower: Toss the cauliflower in oil, salt, garlic and the spice blend. Bake at 425 degrees F / 220ºc for 25 minutes or until tender to preference.
Roast the cauliflower: Toss the cauliflower in oil, salt, garlic and the spice blend. Bake at 425 degrees F for 25 minutes or until tender to preference. Nutritional values based on one serving