Irish potato cakes, also known as boxty, made with a mixture of mashed and grated potatoes for a cake that is part pancake, part hash brown. These use flax for the egg and are dressed with vegan avocado basil ranch.
Spring is here! I know because the tree pollen is off the charts today and my eyes refuse to see single lines as single. If there are some extra i-s or l-s on the post, let me know.
St Patrick’s day is around the corner (March 17), so lets get started with some Irish and some green recipes! I whipped up these potato cakes yesterday and served them with a creamy avocado basil ranch dressing. Don’t like ranch? just omit the ranch seasoning from the avocado dressing. Traditional Irish potato pancakes, also known as boxty, are made with a mixture of mashed and grated potatoes for a cake that’s part pancake, part hash brown. The pancakes use egg and butter and can be flavored with scallions. I use flax as the egg substitute.
These cakes come together easily. Boil and mash half the potatoes, grate the rest. Mix in, add some flour, egg sub, salt, pepper, other flavors of choice, and cook on the pan until golden.
What are your plans for St Paddy’s day!
More green things from the blog
Serve the cakes with the avocado ranch dressing, plain vegan ranch or vegan butter or other dressing of choice.
- 2 large russets
- ¾ teaspoon fine salt, plus more for seasoning the potatoes before cooking
- ¼ teaspoon or more freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup non dairy milk
- 1 tbsp flax seed meal
- 1 to 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- a generous pinch of kala namak (Indian black salt) optional
- 1 tsp oil
- 1.2 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ to ⅓ cup unbleached all purpose flour ( or use a gluten-free flour which is neutral tasting)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- oil for cooking
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tbsp basil
- ½ tsp garlic
- ½ tsp ore more ranch seasoning
- generous dash of black pepper and salt
- 2 tsp lime juice
- water as needed
- Chop 1 potato and add to a pot of cold water. Bring to a boil then continue to cook over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes until done. Drain, cool slightly, add salt, pepper, milk, flax, nutritional yeast, oil and kala namak and mash well. Taste and add salt if needed to keep the mixture saltier than regular mashed potatoes.
- Grate the other potato. Add a ½ tsp lemon juice and mix in. Squeeze the grated potato with paper towel to remove some of the excess moisture..
- Mix the grated potato with mashed potatoes.
- Mix the baking powder in ¼ cup flour and add to the potato bowl and mix in. If the mixture is too stiff, add another tbsp of non dairy milk.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. When hot, add a few drops of oil to grease. Drop dollops of the potato mixture on the greased pan. Shape and flatten and cook 4 to 5 minutes each side. (To bake: Bake at 425 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes. Broil for a minute if needed).
- Garnish with scallions and vegan butter. Serve with avocado ranch.
- For the avocado ranch: Blend all the ingredients. Add water if needed. Taste and adjust seasoning. Add nutritional yeast for cheesy flavor (optional)
Variation: add a handful of chopped scallions to the pancake mixture.