Naan! Naan flat bread is the bread of choice served at most restaurants, I think I now know why. We eat unleavened Roti/Chapati most days with Indian food. I do whip up a quick Naan every now and then. The usual Naan is made with refined flour, yogurt and butter. I have a popular Naan post with all you need to know about a vegan version using non dairy yogurt(soy, cashew or coconut milk yogurt), different ways to cook and so on. The post has different types of Naan bread – Plain Naan, garlic Naan, Naan stuffed with Cauliflower, Kale and carrots, and Avocado Naan! The avocado Naan got lost in all the different varieties so it definitely needed a post dedicated to it.
Yes, if you dont have non-dairy yogurt on hand. no fear. Use mashed avocado!
This version is refined Oil-free. It also has some basil, nutritional yeast, chopped up chili and onion flakes. It is one addictive flatbread in itself. You can make this without the spices and herbs too. See the original Naan post for plain avocado naan.
I topped one (because I ate the other with vegan butter) with some roasted Acorn and garlicky Kale. The pictures are from a few weeks back, hence the roasted Acorn. you can use sweet potato or other roasted veggies. I roasted the Acorn squash whole. Washed it, made a few knife punctures and roasted at 330 degrees F until tender. Then cooled it, halved and removed the seeds, chopped and kept for later.
You can make smaller pita sized flatbread and load it with Falafels, veggies and tahini, serve it up with some hummus, or go the regular route and serve it with Indian curries.
In other news, lots more vegan cheese hitting the market.
Check out Chef Tal Ronnen’s Interview with Alicia about his new line.
Make your own Hot sauce!
Proof the yeast in warm water and sugar until frothy.
Add flours, onion flakes, salt, mashed avocado.
Knead into a soft dough.
Let sit until doubled. Add chopped basil, chili, nutritional yeast, other additions if using.
Knead fro a minute.
Divide into 2 and roll out. Press seeds on top.
Spray water on the bottom and place on hot skillet.
Cover and cook for 1-1.5 minutes.
Flip and cook for another minute.
Spicy Garlicky Kale:
In a medium pan, heat a teaspoon of oil or a Tablespoon of vegetable broth, add 3-4 cloves of garlic and saute until garlic is golden.
Add washed chopped Kale(2-3 cups), 1/4 teaspoon salt, piri piri or other chili powder to taste and mix well. Add a Tablespoon vegetable broth or water.
Cover and cook until Kale is tender.
Serve topped with sesame seeds and piri piri or lemon juice.
Oil-free Cheesy Avocado Naan flatbread with Garlic Kale and Roasted Acorn. Vegan recipe
- 1/4 cup (62.5 ml) warm water
- 1.5 teaspoons yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar or maple or bread flour if using stevia. Add equivalent stevia later with dry ingredients
- 1/2 cup (62.5 g) bread flour
- 1/4 cup (31.25 g) wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon onion flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt
- 3 Tablespoons mashed avocado about half a regular sized Avocado
- 1/4 cup (6 g) chopped basil
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 green chili finely chopped optional
- Seeds for topping: Sesame, Til, Nigella(Kalonji) or Carom(Ajwain)
- Add other chopped up greens spinach, baby kale or herbs(cilantro).
- Add a Tablespoon or evoo or vegan butter.
- In a bowl, add warm water, yeast and sugar and mix well.
- Let sit 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Add all the dry ingredients and avocado and mix.
- Knead into a soft dough(3-4 minutes).
- Spray water on top, cover with towel and let sit for 1.5 hours or until doubled. Use a bowl with enough space for the dough to double without touching the towel on top.
- Add chopped basil, chopped green chili, nutritional yeast and 1-2 Tablespoons wheat flour and knead for a minute to combine well.
- Divide dough into 2 parts (for 2 large 10 inch Naans or 3 parts for smaller) and roll into oval shape or shape with your hands by pressing it outwards. Use flour if needed. The hand shaped Naans puff up better.
- Use any large pan/skillet which can withstand high heat. Heat it on medium high heat until hot.
- Pat some nigella, sesame or carom seeds on top and spritz the bottom with a little water.
- Place the naan with bottom on the pan.
- Cover and let cook on medium high till it starts to puff.
- Flip after 1-1.5 minutes, and cook for half a minute( for pita style)
- If you like a charred Naan, then instead of flipping to cook the other side, hold the uncooked side of Naan over the flame with tongs for a few seconds to cook and char some spots.
- Serve hot, topped with vegan butter or olive oil with any Indian curry, Daal lentil stews, vegetable Subzis, salad and pickle.