Lemon Coconut Chia Muffins. Zesty Muffins with Lemon, chia seeds, coconut and Turmeric. 1 bowl 30 minute Lemon Chia Muffins. Vegan Soy-free Nut-free Oil-free Recipe. Pin this for later.
When I made the lemon coconut curd chia pudding, I knew I would want those flavors and texture in other ways as well. Something that I can carry around, something that was not as filled with chia seeds as a chia pudding.
Hence, these muffins! These zesty moist muffins have no added oil. The full fat coconut milk makes them soft and amazing. Loads of lemon zest, lemon juice, chia seeds and some turmeric for color. Add other flavors of choice like vanilla, add chopped nuts or dried fruits, bake and done! I dressed these with a bit of coconut flakes and a sprinkle of chia.
These muffins are fresh and summery and make a great breakfast or snack. You can also use the batter to make doughnuts! Pipe into a greased doughnut pan and bake.
To make these muffins gluten-free, use the flours from my gf banana nut muffins.
More baked Breakfast options from the blog.
- One bowl Pumpkin Bread
- Pumpkin Banana Cranberry Bread – GF
- 1 Bowl Banana Apple Bread. Can be made into muffins
- Zucchini Bread – GF
- 1 hour Aquafaba Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk (If using other non dairy milk, add 1 to 2 tbsp oil or melted vegan butter)
- zest of a lemon
- juice of 2 lemons
- 2 to 3 tbsp chia seeds
- ½ to ⅔ cup sugar (raw, cane or other)
- ¼ tsp or more turmeric
- ½ tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup unbleached white flour
- 2 to 3 tbsp dried coconut flakes
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- Mix all the wet ingredients until sugar is well combined. Refrigerate for at least an hour to hydrate the chia seeds. I usually keep it overnight.
- Line a muffin pan with muffin liners.Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, whisk all the dry ingredients. Add to the wet and mix to combine. The batter should be somewhat flowy but not runny. If too runny, add a few tbsp more flour and mix in. (If the wet mixture was refrigerated overnight, the batter will be thick and muffin like and not flowy).
- Add more turmeric if needed. Fold in dried fruit or nuts, candied lemon or blueberries at this point.
- Drop the batter into lined muffin pan. Sprinkle coconut and chia seeds on top. Bake at 350 degrees F for 26 to 28 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the pan then a few minutes on the counter before serving. The muffins can be kept on the counter (covered) for upto 2 days, or refrigerated upto 5.