Vegan Gluten free Zucchini Bread Recipe. Moist, soft Zucchini Bread loaded with Oats, Chia seeds, Zucchini. Vegan Gluten-free gum-free Soy-free Recipe. Pin this post.
Gluten-free baking can be tricky and even more so when vegan. There is no egg to support the baked structure. So the onus of holding the structure falls on the starches gums, flax/chia/psyllium and other ingredients. GF baking also might not work well by changing a non gf recipe with a 1 on 1 substitution. Most often you will want to use a combination of flours and starches and also evaluate the recipe. Cupcakes and muffins are easier to substitute when using a premixed all purpose gluten-free blend, but with larger loafs, the loaf will fall or not cook through the center or end up gummy or overly crumbly and dry depending on the ingredients used. It takes many trials and lessons along the way to get to a good gluten-free baked quick bread.
For this gluten free Zucchini bread I use almond flour, whole oats and chia seeds to add that bulk and volume that will hold the bread structure. There are no gums in this bread. You can use 1/2 tsp xanthan for more rise of the loaf. This loaf is full of zucchini, is moist and makes an amazing breakfast bread. Serve warmed with vegan butter or Glaze with your favorite glaze.
The chia and zucchini are soaked for some time to allow the chia seeds to absorb some of the liquid and the zucchini to leak as much liquid as it can. This helps make the chia seeds less crunchy and the batter more predictable. Make this with any other shredded veggie or fruit. If you make it, tag me and let me know how it turned out!
More gluten-free baked options from the blog
- Pumpkin Banana Cranberry Bread – GF
- GF Almond Butter Blondies
- Banana Walnut Loaf – GF
- Coconut Flour Brownies GF
- Lentil Sandwich Bread – GF Yeast-free
Soak the zucchini, chia and sugar mixture for an hour. Add flours and oats and mix in. the batter should be a thick batter. Drop into parchment lined pan. Even it out using a spatula. Top with chopped nuts or seeds if you like.
Bake until a toothpick from the center comes out almost clean.
Cool for 15 mins in the pan, then on the cooling rack. Brush vegan butter on top to soften the crust.
I usually refrigerate the bread for a few minutes before slicing for cleaner slices.
Vegan Gluten free Zucchini Bread Recipe
- 1 large zucchini grated - about 1.25 cups
- 1/2 cup (100 g) raw or other sugar I usually use 1/3 cup for a less sweet breakfast loaf
- 1/4 cup (62.5 ml) water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) vinegar apple cider or white
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 3/4 cup (60.75 g) old fashioned oats use certified gluten-free if needed
- 1/2 cup (56 g) almond flour
- 1/2 cup (60 g) oat flour use certified gluten-free if needed
- 1/4 cup (40 g) white rice flour
- 1/4 cup (40 g) potato starch
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) salt
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) cinnamon optional
- Grate the zucchini and add to a large bowl. Add the rest of the wet ingredients and mix well until the sugar dissolves in. Chill the mixture for half an hour.
- Fold in the oats into the bowl and chill for another 10 minutes. Preheat the oven to 365 degrees F / 180ºc. Line a 8.5 by 4.5 inch loaf pan with parchment or grease it well.
- In a bowl, whisk the rest of the dry ingredients really well. Add it to the wet bowl and fold in well. The batter should be thick. if the batter is too flowy, add in a tbsp or so more rice flour.
- Drop this thick mixture into parchment lined pan. Even it out using a spatula. Top with chopped nuts or seeds or a crumb at this point.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick from the center comes out almost clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and cool completely. Brush oil or melted vegan butter on top to keep the crust soft. Slice and serve warm with vegan butter. I usually refrigerate the loaf for 10-15 mins before slicing.