Indian Spiced Tomato Soup. Clear your sinuses with this Easy homemade Vegan Tomato Soup. Seasoned with cumin, coriander and Turmeric to warm you up this fall. Vegan gluten-free Soy-free Recipe. Pin it for later
Souping has begun in our house to keep us warm through the colder nights. Nights are actually just cool, but my body is not yet used to the sudden temperature drop. Hence a bit of help from the warming spices and peppers goes a long way. Use up the summer tomato bounty.
Warm up with a spiced, warm, tangy and sweet soup. This easy tomato soup is seasoned with cumin, coriander, bay leaf and turmeric, has loads of garlic, has cayenne and black pepper to warm you up from the inside. Warming and healing and all kinds of good. To make it creamier, add a handful of cashews or pumpkin seeds in while blending, or use white beans. Use spices and herbs of choice for variation. I served the soup with vegan grilled cheddar cheese (Daiya cheddar slices) sandwich cut into bite size croutons.
- ½ tsp oil
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- ¼ cup chopped carrot, or 1 medium carrot, chopped
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- ¼ tsp black pepper or a combination of black and white pepper
- 1 15 oz can tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ to 2 tsp sugar
- 1 small bay leaf
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. When hot, add cumin and cook for 1 minute or until the cumin seeds get fragrant.
- Add chopped onions, garlic, carrot and a pinch of salt. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until onions are translucent. Stir occasionally.
- Add coriander, turmeric, cayenne and pepper, mix for a few seconds.
- Add the onion mixture to a blender. Add tomatoes and blend until pureed.
- Transfer the pureed tomato mixture back to the saucepan. Add water, bay leaf, salt and sugar and cook over medium heat for 12 to 14 minutes. Taste and adjust salt, sweet and heat. Add more water if needed. Garnish with chives and Serve with crusty bread or croutons or grilled vegan cheese sandwiches.
Make it creamy: Add 2 to 3 tbsp cashews or pumpkin seeds or a ¼ cup chickpeas or white beans at step 4.
Make it oil-free: Dry roast the cumin seeds until fragrant, then add the onions, garlic, carrots and a splash or water or veggie broth and continue.