This Vegan Aloo Gobi is my dad's favorite recipe. Easy with Indian spices and a perfect side with any kind of meal. gluten-free soy-free
- 1 Tablespoon organic canola or safflower oil or mustard oil or any oil with high smoke point
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- a generous pinch asafetida hing optional
- 1 Tablespoon garlic chopped
- 2 teaspoons ginger chopped
- 1 green chili chopped or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder or freshly crushed coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon chili powder or cayenne
- 2/3 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 cups cubed potatoes medium size cubes
- 2 overflowing cups of cauliflower florets large florets broken or cut to a medium size
- 1/3-1/2 cup peas
- In a large pan, add oil and heat at medium.
- When hot add the cumin seeds and mix for half a minute.
- Add ginger, garlic, asafetida and chopped chili pepper and mix for a minute or until garlic turns golden.
At this point you can go 2 ways:
1. Add the coriander, cumin and chili/cayenne powder and mix for a few seconds. Add potatoes and cook covered for 2 minutes. Then add turmeric and cauliflower, mix and continue.
2. Mix the coriander, cumin, chili/cayenne and turmeric powders in 2 Tablespoons water and add the mix to the pan. Cook for a 1 minute or so until the spices get fragrant and leave oil on the side. Add potatoes, cover and cook for 2 minutes. Add cauliflower florets and cover.
- Cover and cook potatoes and cauliflower on low heat for 10-15 minutes until the veggies are just about getting tender. Stir every 5 minutes.
- Add salt and peas and a few drops of oil. Mix gently. Cover and cook on low for another 5 or so minutes until veggies are tender to your preference.
- Garnish with fresh Cilantro and serve with any Indian Curry or Daal soup and Roti or Naan flat breads.
For variations Use mustard seeds along with cumin, or use Panch phoran(Indian 5 spice mix) instead of the spices used, or garam masala. Add some chopped tomato with the peas for a wet version, skip the peas and so on!
Nutritional values based on one serving