And why did I make this? Well, the big food corps, apart from putting in humongous amounts of money into creating shelf stable products with weird amounts of chemicals, they Also put the money into finding tastes and combinations that tickle your tastebuds, make you addicted to things and keep you coming back to the product! Now, since they have already figured out the tastes that work, we can just reproduce it the natural way and say ahhhh yummm! and not worry about the processed chemicals!
No store bought Doritos were used in this recipe. Just some spices and flavors together and voila!
- 1.5-2 cups cooked Whole grain Penne or any pasto of choice
- 1.5 cups broccoli florets blanched
- 1/3 cup raw cashews soaked in water for atleast half an hour
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- few teaspoons evoo
- 1-1.5 Tablespoon nutritional Yeast
- 2 teaspoons dried onion flakes or 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspooon paprika to taste/color
- a generous pinch of salt
- a generous pinch Rock salt/Kala namak optional, if using lemon juice for wet uses. Not optional for dry spice since it does help add the sour. you can try lemon zest instead
- You can add Daiya cheddar or yellow mustard powder for cheddar lemon zest, dried parsley for ranch, red chili/black pepper for the spicy variations.
- Toasted Bread Crumbs or Toasted Oats and rice flakes coarsely ground.(1.5-2 Tablespoons)
- Mix the doritos spice mix or blend in grinder to get a well blended mix. Taste test and adjust.
- Cook the Penne per instructions. Blanch the broccoli(cook 3-4 minutes in boiling water, then rinse in cold water).
- Blend the soaked cashews with enough water to make a smooth cream.
- Add lemon juice, salt to taste and half of the Doritos spice mix to the cashew cream.
- You can just toss the pasta and broccoli and serve at this point. I usually like to heat everything a bit so the spice taste comes out more and cashew cream doesnt taste raw.
- In a pan, add 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, heat on medium.
- Add the broccoli and toss for a few seconds.
- Add the pasta and the cashew cream. Mix well. Cover and let it start to bubble on low heat. (1-2 minutes).
- Taste test and adjust spices and salt and take off heat.
- Mix some of the Doritos spice with bread crumbs or crumbs of toasted Oats and rice flakes.
- Sprinkle the crumbs on hot pasta right before serving!
Nutritional values based on one serving