We are alive We are alive! Its 22nd already and we are all still here. So lets celebrate Christmas and the new year:)
I have been trying to finish up this post since the past 2 days and finally here it is. I made a boozy fruit cake last year as well and never got around to posting it. Thanks to hubbs’s stayacation last december:)
Fruit Cake, Rum Cake, Plum Cake or other named of this Cake was also always gifted by friends around this time while growing up(in India). It was always home made and delicious unlike the supermarket versions here.
The lighter one below is from last year and has a good amount of rum and lesser fruits and nuts in it. The one from this year doesnt have any alcohol. I dont like booze(gasp) and wanted to eat my cake. So this year’s Cake is Boozeless (first picture).
You can use any fruit juice instead of liquor. I usually like either freshly squeezed orange juice or Cranberry juice. For this years cake, I used Orange juice mixed with a little molasses. I used dark molasses to deepen the color.
For a glutenfree version, see this.
More Holiday Sweet(Dessert, snack, Breakfast) Collection here. French Toasts, Tiramisu Pancakes, Cakes, Ginger bread truffles, Cookies, Stollen Bread and more.
Wish you all Happy Holidays and A Wonderful New Year!
Spiced Fruit and Nut Christmas Cake. Eggless Vegan Recipe
- 1.75 cups (210 g) cups of Spelt flour Or use 1.25 cups whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 3/4 cup (177.44 g) ground raw sugar or demerara sugar or vegan brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) of ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) each of cinnamon, clove, nutmeg powders
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) sea salt
- 1/3 cup (72.67 ml) Coconut oil or oil of choice I usually use 1/3 cup. 1/2 cup will make the cake more moist. Use 1/2 cup mashed banana or pumpkin puree for an Oil free version
- 1/2 cup (113 ml) Coconut milk
- 2 Tablespoons dark Molasses
- 1 Tablespoon Apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) rum extract if not using liquor. optional
Fruits and Nuts:
- 1.5 cups (225 g) of chopped dried fruit nuts, candied fruits(I used about 1/4 cup each of golden and dark raisins, dates, cranberries, walnuts, pecans, cashews, and a Tablespoon candied orange peel).
- 1 cup (248 ml) of juice or half juice and half rum to soak (I used orange juice mixed in with a teaspoon of molasses to soak for non boozy version. Half orange juice half rum to soak for the other cake)
- Soak chopped fruits and nuts in juice or a combination of juice and liquor overnight or atleast 2 hours.
- In a bowl, Mix all the dry ingredients and spices for the cake.
- In another bowl, mix in all the wet and the soaked fruits and nuts. Depending on how long the fruits have been kept, there may or may not be extra liquid left.
- Add the wet to the dry and mix till just about combined.
- Bake in preheated 365 degrees F / 180ºc for 40 minutes then lower the heat to 350 degrees F and bake for another 10-20 minutes till a toothpick test from the center comes out almost clean.
- Cool completely before slicing. Tastes best the next day.