Chickpea Stuffed Poblano Peppers with Smoky Tomato Sauce. Easy 30 minute meal. Indian fusion recipe. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free
Ready for another Chickpea recipe? I am. 🙂
These simple stuffed Poblanos. The peppers are stuffed with mashed chickpeas that are spiced with a bit of the tomato sauce and garam masala. The Sauce is a blender sauce. Blend, cook to thicken and use.
Stuff them peppers. Bake, make the sauce. done. Serve with a light sprinkle of sweet paprika, cilantro and lemon juice. Add other spice blends, or top with cheese for variations.
Some days I make like 3 things and mix up the recipes. This one was written up in the margin with the butternut soup. I am like, what are the chickpeas doing in butternut soup. 🙂 I think I am going to record voice memos of the recipes from now on. Too much confusion, missing pages and messy draft posts!
Use any other peppers like Anaheim, green bell peppers or stuff some tomatoes 🙂 or Jalapenos if you are feeling adventurous.
More Chickpea recipes from the blog.
Stuff Portabellas with Thymed Chickpeas
Make a Pizza crust. Chickpea Quinoa Chard crust with roasted cauliflower.
Make Chana Masala my way.
BBQ Chickpea Tortilla Pizzas
Or Chickpea Cauliflower Tacos.
- 2 medium tomatoes 1.5 cups chopped
- 1/2 roasted red bell pepper I used jarred
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 inch of knob of ginger
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garam masala or chana masala spice blend or spice blend of choice
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp cayenne powder or to taste
- 1/4 cup cooked chickpeas
- 2 Tbsp cashews optional
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas or 1.5 cups cooked divided. Use 1/4 cup in the sauce above.
- 2 - 3 Tbsp tomato sauce from above
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne or to taste
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- cumin powder as needed
- oil as needed
- 2 Poblano peppers
- cilantro, paprika and lemon juice for garnish
- In a blender, add all the ingredients under tomato sauce and blend to a smooth puree.
- Take about 2 Tbsp of the tomato mixture and mix in the 1.25 cups of chickpeas. Add salt, cayenne, garam masala, cilantro and mash and mix. Taste and adjust salt and spice.
- Slice the poblanos or other peppers. Remove seeds.
- Fill the peppers with the chickpeas. Sprinkle a little cumin powder on top.
- for a crunchier filling. Add in a little breadcrumbs to the chickpea mixture.
- Spray or brush the peppers with oil.
Bake at pre-heated 400 degrees F / 200ºc for 20 minutes or until the peppers start browning on the the edges. Bake time depends on the peppers used.
- Meanwhile, In a pan, add a tsp of oil and heat on medium.
- Add the tomato puree and bring to a boil. 3-4 minutes.
- Lower the heat to low-medium and cook for another 6-7 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly. Taste and adjust salt and spice.
- Serve the peppers with a generous drizzle of the tomato sauce and a sprinkle of sweet paprika, cilantro and lemon juice.
- For Variations, use mashed potato or peas for the stuffing. Or mix then into the chickpea stuffing. Add finely chopped greens to the chickpea stuffing.
Nutritional values based on one serving