These Vegan Pretzel Bites are easy without the hassle of boiling in baking soda. Served with Spicy mustard dip for Gameday. Vegan Dairy-free Recipe.
So finally I am getting excited about the Superbowl. After some miserable games, Seahawks have got their act together and made it to the play offs. #gohawks! That means we will need some chips and dips and things for the games. Why is it that we always want to nibble on something during the game. Its like a 3 hour continuous eating thing.
So I decided to make some Pretzels! I made them a bit easier by eliminating the whole boil in baking soda solution thing. Just brush the solution on the bites! Baking soda wash and vegan egg wash = perfect crust. No standing in the kitchen trying to boil away hundreds of small pretzels!
Make these into sticks or whatever shape you want. The crust needs 2 washes. A Baking soda wash and a vegan egg wash for the gorgeous golden and shiny crust. I paired them with a simple mustard hot sauce cheesy cashew dip. You know you can add some beer to that dip right. Yuhmmy!
Since I am dabbling in eating gluten-free for a while, I made some glutenfree pretzels for me too. I did sneak in a few regular ones, like seriously, fresh bread sitting in front of me.
More Game day Snack ideas from the blog
Some Gluten-free Bread options already on the blog.
These pretzels and dip are somewhat easy
and will disappear too soon
Make the Pretzel dough.
Let it rise until doubled.
Pat it down into a thick rectangle. Use a pizza cutter to cut strips and then bites of the dough.
Place or parchment lined sheet. Brush with baking soda wash and then with cornstarch wash. sprinkle salt, bake.
Serve with spicy mustard dip.
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 Tbsp coconut sugar or other sugar
- 1 Tbsp active yeast
- 3 Tbsp oil or melted vegan butter
- 3 cups unbleached white flour or all purpose flour + more for dusting
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp coarse sea salt or kosher salt for sprinkling
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup raw cashews soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup or more almond milk
- 1 to 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 to 4 tsp hot sauce
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper if needed
- herbs like dill or ranch seasoning mix for variation
- In a bowl, combine 1 cup warm water, yeast and sugar, Mix and let sit until frothy. 5 mins.
- In another bowl, combine, flour and 3/4 tsp salt. Mix well. Add the flour, oil and yeast mixture to a stand mixture and knead into a soft smooth dough. Or Add the yeast mixture to the flour. Add the oil and knead for 4 to 6 minutes to make a smooth dough.
- Spray water on the dough. cover with a towel and let it rise for an hour or until doubled.
- Flatten the dough into a 1/2 inch thick rectangle. Cut up strips using a pizza cutter. (thinner, about 1/2 inch thick, for smaller pretzels).Roll the strips between your hands if they are uneven. Cut the strips into inch bites. Place the bites on parchment lined baking sheet, atleast a half inch away from each other.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F / 220ºc. Make the baking soda wash: Add baking soda to boiling 1/2 cup of water. mix and keep aside.
- Brush the pretzels liberally with warm baking soda wash. Let them sit for 2 minutes. Then slice the tops using knife or kitchen scissors(optional). Meanwhile Make the cornstarch wash: Mix the cornstarch in 1/2 cup of water, heat the water over medium heat until it thickens into a sludge. Brush the pretzels with the warm cornstarch wash. Sprinkle granulated salt on the pretzels.
- Bake for 13 to 14 minutes or until a nice golden brown color. Serve with your favorite dip
- Make the Spicy Mustard dip: Blend the cashews with almond milk until smooth. Add more almond milk if needed. Add the dijon mustard, hot sauce and nutritional yeast. Blend, taste and adjust heat and sauces. Serve!
Nutritional values based on one serving