These Vegan Pretzel Bites are easy without the hassle of boiling in baking soda. Served with Spicy mustard dip for Gameday. Vegan Dairy-free Recipe.
So finally I am getting excited about the Superbowl. After some miserable games, Seahawks have got their act together and made it to the play offs. #gohawks! That means we will need some chips and dips and things for the games. Why is it that we always want to nibble on something during the game. Its like a 3 hour continuous eating thing.
So I decided to make some Pretzels! I made them a bit easier by eliminating the whole boil in baking soda solution thing. Just brush the solution on the bites! Baking soda wash and vegan egg wash = perfect crust. No standing in the kitchen trying to boil away hundreds of small pretzels!
Make these into sticks or whatever shape you want. The crust needs 2 washes. A Baking soda wash and a vegan egg wash for the gorgeous golden and shiny crust. I paired them with a simple mustard hot sauce cheesy cashew dip. You know you can add some beer to that dip right. Yuhmmy!
Since I am dabbling in eating gluten-free for a while, I made some glutenfree pretzels for me too. I did sneak in a few regular ones, like seriously, fresh bread sitting in front of me.
More Game day Snack ideas from the blog
Some Gluten-free Bread options already on the blog.
These pretzels and dip are somewhat easy
and will disappear too soon
Make the Pretzel dough.
Let it rise until doubled.
Pat it down into a thick rectangle. Use a pizza cutter to cut strips and then bites of the dough.
Place or parchment lined sheet. Brush with baking soda wash and then with cornstarch wash. sprinkle salt, bake.
Serve with spicy mustard dip.
Vegan Pretzel Bites with Spicy Mustard Dip
For The Pretzels
- 1 cup (250 ml) warm water
- 1 Tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 Tbsp coconut sugar or other sugar
- 3 cups (375 g) unbleached white flour or all purpose flour + more for dusting
- 1/2-3/4 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp oil or melted vegan butter
- 2 tsp coarse sea salt or kosher salt, for sprinkling
For The Baking Soda Wash
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) boiling water
For The Cornstarch Vegan Egg Wash
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
For The Spicy Mustard Dip
- 1/2 cup (64.5 g) raw cashews soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup (62.5 ml) almond milk plus more, if needed
- 1-2 Tbsp (1 to 2 Tbsp) Dijon mustard
- 2-4 tsp (2 to 4 tsp) hot sauce
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper, if needed
- In a bowl, combine the warm water, yeast, and sugar. Mix and let sit until frothy, 5 minutes.
- In another bowl, combine flour and 3/4 tsp salt. Mix well. Add the flour mixture, oil, and yeast mixture to a stand mixture fitted with the hook attachment and knead into a soft, smooth dough. Or, add the yeast mixture to the flour, add the oil, and knead by hand for 4-6 minutes to make a smooth dough.
- Spray water on the dough, cover with a towel, and let it rise for 1 hour, or until doubled.
- Flatten the dough into a 1/2 inch thick rectangle. Cut up strips using a pizza cutter. (thinner, about 1/2 inch thick, for smaller pretzels). Roll the strips between your hands if they are uneven. Cut the strips into 1 inch bites. Place the bites on parchment lined baking sheet, at least 1/2 inch away from each other.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F / 220ºC. Make the baking soda wash: Add baking soda to boiling 1/2 cup of water, mix, and set aside.
- Brush the pretzels liberally with warm baking soda wash. Let them sit for 2 minutes. Then slice the tops using knife or kitchen scissors (optional). Meanwhile, make the cornstarch wash: Mix the cornstarch in 1/2 cup of water and heat the water over medium heat until it thickens into a sludge. Brush the pretzels with the warm cornstarch wash. Sprinkle granulated salt on the pretzels.
- Bake for 13 to 14 minutes, or until a nice golden brown color. Serve with the Spicy Mustard Dip
Spicy Mustard Dip
- Blend the cashews with almond milk until smooth. Add more almond milk, if needed. Add the Dijon mustard, hot sauce, and nutritional yeast. Blend, taste, and adjust seasonings. Serve!
- Add 1-2 Tbsp fresh dill to the Spicy Mustard Dip.
- Add 1 Tbsp Ranch seasoning mix to the Spicy Mustard Dip.