Vegan Orange Cake made in 1 Bowl and just 8 ingredients! Easy Moist Citrusy Vegan Cake. Soyfree Palm-Oil-free Recipe.
Weekend calls for some cake sitting on the counter. And this citrusy 1 bowl orange cake makes it very easy to have some around. Esp when glazed with some boozy marmalade glaze! Right?
We end up with a bottle of orange juice or a orange something mix juice every now and then. Hubbs gets some, drinks it a few times and forgets about it. Sometimes he gets it just because there should be something to drink for visitors. And I tell him, we always have water or I can make lemonade. Why get the whole juice bottle, esp when both of us don’t really like it and since packaged juice is just.. that, packaged and questionable. I was brought up in the Orange city in India(yes there is such a city!). Those juicy sweet fresh oranges now appear only in my dreams. The juice from those oranges, so fresh and sweet, also in my dreams. After decades of trying many different options, the sour juice just doesn’t cut it for me. So anywho, I use up the leftover orange juice in this cake. 1 bowl, easy, 8 main ingredients, 2 tbsp oil, vegan orange cake! What do you do with excess juice?
I generally use carton orange juice and the juice varies between brands, types and hence the flavor in the cake. For stronger orange flavor, add zest of an orange to the batter or use orange marmalade frosting. This cake is like a basic sponge cake that needs a moist and flavorful frosting or glaze to make it shine. For more moisture in the cake, add a bit more oil to the batter.
More Cakes from the blog.
- Cream Cheese Marble Pound Cake
- Basic Vegan Yellow Cake
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Marble Cake
- Soy-free Mini Pound cake
- Vegan Chocolate Layer Cake with Chocolate PB Ganache
- Gingerbread Cake
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or use Spelt flour
- 1/2 cup unbleached white flour or all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp starch like corn or arrowroot
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar I powder raw sugar and use, Add 2 to 4 tbsp more for sweeter.
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- a generous pinch of salt
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F / 180ºc. Line a 8 or 9 inch cake pan with parchment, or grease well and dust with flour.
- In a bowl whisk all the dry ingredients until combined well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the bowl and mix until smooth. Pour the batter in the prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or a toothpick from near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes and remove from pan. Cool completely before slicing.
- Add frosting of choice like vegan cream cheese frosting, or with whipped coconut cream and fruit, or make a boozy marmalade glaze.
- For the boozy glaze: Mix a tbsp of liquor in a 1/4 cup of orange or apricot marmalade or preserves of choice. Heat for a few minutes until bubbling. Use as glaze or serve with each slice.
- For a regular glaze: Use a tbsp orange juice mixed with the marmalade, or mix 2 to 3 tbsp orange juice with a 1/3 cup or more powdered sugar.
For stronger Orange flavor, add zest of a small/medium orange. A must for the zesty flavor.
Use finely ground/powdered sugar in this cake. The sugar is in the dry and will feel granulated if it isn't fine enough.
Overbaking the cake will make it a bit dry, but it will soften as it cools. Add enough glaze or frosting to add more moisture. For a more moist cake, add another 2 tbsp of oil.
You can also make this into a loaf. Add nuts and dried fruit of choice like cranberries/currants and bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
Watch this week: Kidnapped at Birth – “I was taken from my mother at birth. I’m trying to remember her. This is my story.”
A beautiful poem by a British Farmer turned vegan.
A list of Meat and Dairy farmers who went vegan and became vegan activists.