This is a simple vegan yellow cake recipe. Use as a base to make other cakes or use frosting of choice to make a layered Birthday Cake or a Swiss roll! This yellow cake is soft and moist. The almond extract gives is a fabulous flavor profile.
More Cakes from the blog
- Vegan Sponge Cake
- Spiced Apple Cake
- Vanilla Spelt sponge Cake
- Chocolate Torte
- Vanilla Pound Cake – soy-free
- Fruit and Nut Christmas Cake
- Cream Cheese Pound Cake
Vegan Yellow Cake Recipe
- 3/4 cup (183 ml) non dairy milk
- 2 (2 tbsp) heaping Tbsp non dairy yogurt
- 1 Tbsp flax seed meal or chia seed meal
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup (56 ml) oil
- 3/4 to 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) almond extract
- 1/2 cup (60 g) vegan powdered sugar or other sugar (1/3 cup for less sweet)
- a generous pinch of turmeric for color optional
- 1 1/2 cup (1.25 cup) unbleached white flour (1.25 cups if using a mix of whole wheat and all purpose)
- 2 tbsp cornstarch or other starch
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) salt
- 1 tsp (0.75 tsp) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 350 deg F / 180ºc
- In a bowl, add all the wet ingredients and whisk well until combined.
- In another bowl mix in the dry ingredients, or sift directly into the bowl with wet ingredients.
- Whisk until the mixture is smooth and silky. 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour the batter intp parchment lined or greased and well floured 8 inch cake pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until tooth pick from the center comes out clean. Cool completely covered with towel, Frost with favorite frosting, slice and serve.