Vegan Egg Drop Soup. Eggless Egg drop soup with Jackfruit and Tofu. Soothing Chinese “egg” drop soup. Vegan Gluten-free Recipe. Pin this post for later.
I had my wisdom teeth removed many years back. I had 2 sessions of 2 teeth at a time, one under local and the other under conscious sedation. After both the events, the only food I ate for 5 to 7 days was some kind of soup. Brothy soups, thinned out Dal soups, pasta soups, pureed soups. By the end of the week I would be bugged with them and didn’t touch another soup for the whole month.
Anywho, one of the soups that kept me satiated was egg drop soup. Vegan versions of the soup work out well with chopped up tofu, but the texture is not entirely there. I had some jackfruit leftover the other day while testing another recipe, and decided to give that a go. I shredded it in a processor and simmered it in the broth. The slightly chewy and stringy texture worked out amazingly in the soup. Thankfully, I have no more wisdom teeth to be removed, but hey there are always other dental issues, or just days when you want a bowl of hot brothy soup. Make this v-egg drop and let me know how it worked out for you!
This egg drop soup has shredded Jackfruit and tofu for the egg. Kala namak adds the eggy flavor. This soup gets tastier as it sits. A perfect fall comfort bowl to make again and again. Adjust the seasoning to your preference. Add shredded veggies or some corn to make it into a light dinner.
More soups from the blog
- Spiced Tomato Soup
- Broccoli Slaw Soup,
- Easy Turkish lentil soup,
- Curried Butternut Squash Soup with toasted pepitas
- Mushroom chickpea greens soup.
- 32 oz or 4 cups of low sodium veggie broth or no chicken broth
- 1/2 to 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 2.5 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp black pepper and more for garnish
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- 1/8 tsp or more kala namak Indian sulphur black salt for eggy flavor
- 1/2 tsp or more soy sauce
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp sugar or other sweetener
- 1/2 tsp no chickin seasoning or a dash of celery seed/salt or a dash of celery seed/salt nutritional yeast, a pinch of sage, parsley or use 1 tbsp of vegan chicken bouillonvegan chicken bouillon vegan chicken bouillon
- 6 oz jackfruit young green Jackfruit in canned water or brine or fresh young jackfruit
- 4 oz firm tofu 1/2 cup or more
- 1/4 cup green onions divided
- Add all ingredients from broth through chikin seasoning to a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil. 7 to 8 mins.
- Meanwhile, drain the jackfruit, shred in a processor or chop up into very thin strips. Wash well, drain and add to the saucepan. Cook for 8 minutes. Reduce heat to medium- low.
- Thinly slice the tofu and add to the saucepan. Add 2 tbsp green onions and mix in. Taste and adjust salt and sweet. Let the soup simmer for another few minutes.
- Garnish with green onions and a good dash of black pepper and serve.
Add 1 clove and 1 inch cinnamon stick at step 1 for more flavor. fish them out before serving.
Nutritional values based on one serving