Tempeh Tandoori Tikka/Kebab Bowl with Cilantro Mint Chutney. 25 gm of Protein! Tempeh marinated in Delicious and Flavorful Tandoori Marinade, then baked and served over greens, onions. Vegan Gluten-free Recipe. Use Veggies or vegan meat subs for soy-free
Indian Tandoori tikka (Indian kebab, marinated and roasted meat or veggie dish) are very flavorful and a comfort food hitting all the taste points. The burst of flavor, the lime, chutneys, spices, onion (always some raw red onion!) and everything that makes up a traditional tandoori tikka dish. For the version today, I use Tempeh as the protein, marinated in this ginger, garlic, non dairy yogurt marinade with the special spice blend (tandoori masala blend), that you can make from scratch or use premade. The marinated tempeh is baked until the marinade thickens. Try not to eat it all right out of the oven! Its So Good.
Make a batch of my Mint cilantro chutney to serve as a dip with the tikka or use as a dressing on a Tikka bowl with greens, crunchy veggies. You can also use the tandoori marinate to coat veggies and bake them, or use Tofu, other meat subs, or use soy-free Tempeh made with split peas or black eyed peas for Soyfree option. With Tempeh this bowl packs 25 gm of Protein!
More Amazing Bowls from the blog
- Cajun Roasted Veggie Bowl with Garlic Sauce. GF
- Peanut Butter Roasted Cauliflower Bowl. GF
- Curried Kidney Bean Bowl with quinoa, zucchini, mango salsa GF
- Shawarma Chickpeas, Sweet Potato Buddha Bowl GF
- Quinoa Cauliflower Bowl with almond Sriracha sauce GF
- Chili Garlic Tofu Bowl with Vermicelli. GF
Tempeh Tandoori Tikka Kabab Bowl with Cilantro Mint Chutney. 25 gm of Protein! Tempeh marinated in Delicious and Flavorful Tandoori Marinade, then baked and served over greens, onions. Vegan Gluten-free Recipe. Use vegan meat subs for soy-free
- 8 oz Tempeh , check the beans/grains used to ensure gluten-free if needed, There are some varieties or soyfree Tempeh now available as well made with other beans for soy-free option
- 3/4 cup non dairy yogurt ( or use thin cashew cream)
- 2 tbsp or more water
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 inch ginger , use a good rounded inch knob
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 2 tsp or more lime juice
- 1 tbsp chickpea flour or other flour
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 hot green chile or 1 tbsp green bell pepper
- 1/4 tsp sage optional
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1.5 to 2 tbsp tandoori masala , store bought or recipe below, use whichever spices you have, missing a spice is ok
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp salt
- sliced onions, spinach/greens, lime juice as needed
- 1 Recipe Cilantro Mint Chutney
Steam the tempeh for 11 to 13 minutes (in a steamer, instant pot or however). Cube/slice and place in a bowl. Thin and smaller slices will do better to absorb flavors from the marinade.
- Grind all the spices under tandoori masala using a spice/coffee grinder or a blender with a 2 blade attachment.
Then add all the ingredients under marinade (including the ground tandoori masala) and blend until well combined. Pour over the tempeh. Toss to combine. Use a tbsp of water to rinse the blender and pour into the bowl. Chill for a few hours or overnight for best results.
Line a sheet with parchment. Fish out the tempeh pieces from the marinade and place on the sheet. Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes. You can pour some of the remaining the marinade over the pieces half way through. Or use the remaining marinade to coat veggies like cauliflower, bell peppers, broccoli etc, Add 1 tbsp flour to the marinade to thicken if needed before adding veggies. Place on the baking sheet with the tempeh and bake for the 25-30 mins.
Serve the baked tempeh tikka in a bowl with crunchy greens and sliced onion. Dress with lime juice and cilantro mint chutney. Sprinkle some garam masala or chaat masala and cayenne for additional oomph. Serve as a bowl, as appetizer with just Tikka and chutney dip, or make Wraps!
Tofu: You can also make the Tandoori Tikka with Tofu. Press the tofu for atleast 15 mins, then marinade and bake to make tofu tikka.
Variation: Add some finely chopped cilantro or mint into the marinade.
Raw onion can be too sharp at times. Soak the slices in water for 15 mins, drain and then use.
Nutrition is 1 of 2 serves , does not include other veggies