Easy Vegan Cardamom Cookies. These soft cookies are a cross between cardamom shortbread and Snickerdoodles. Vegan Soyfree Palm Oil free Recipe. Glutenfree option. Jump to Recipe
If you love cardamom, you will love these cookies! Soft, melt in your mouth cookies that remind you of shortbread, snickerdoodle, and Indian Desserts, all rolled into one.
I use seeds from whole green cardamom pods and ground cardamom for extra flavor punch. The nut butter and almond flour add the texture. The cookie is easily refined sugar free and is palm oil free. Change up the spices to cinnamon, chai, pumpkin pie spice for variation.
MORE COOKIES FROM THE BLOG
- PB Chickpea Cookie Pie- Can be nut-free. GF
- Lemon Chia Cookies. GF option
- Peanut butter Pecan Cookies
- Almond Butter Oatmeal Cookies. GF oil-free
- Ginger Tahini Cookies
- Best Chocolate Chip Cookies with coconut oil
Tips to make Cardamom Cookies with amazing texture and flavor
- Use a neutral flavor nut butter so that it doesn’t overshadow the cardamom flavor (or any other spice flavor you use). some peanut butters have a strong flavor. Almond or cashew butter works best.
- Use both ground cardamom and cardamom seeds
- The dough should be soft for the best crackling.
- Bake longer for crispier cookie and a min less for softer.
Step by Step Photos
Mix the wet ingredients. Fold in the dry to make a soft dough.
Chill, divide the dough into balls, roll in spice+ sugar, flatten on a parchment lined sheet and bake.
Vegan Cardamom Cookie - Cardamom Snickerdoodles
- 1/3 cup (86 g) smooth almond butter or peanut butter or cashew (some peanut butters have a very strong flavor, so choose a more neutral flavor nut butter)
- 1/4 cup (56 ml) oil
- 1/3 cup (0.02 ml) maple syrup
- 1 tbsp (14.79 g) applesauce or non dairy yogurt
- 3/4 cup (177.44 g) flour (I use a mix of whole wheat and all purpose), see gf option in notes
- 1/3 cup (37.33 g) almond flour
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) cream of tartar (optional)
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) salt
- seeds of two green cardamom pods, coarsely crushed (or use 1/4 tsp more ground cardamom)
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp (1/4-1/2 tsp) ground cardamom powder (us full 1/2 tsp if omitting cardamom seeds)
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp cane sugar or use more coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) ground cardamom
- In a bowl combine peanut butter, oil, Maple syrup, Apple sauce/ yogurt. Mix until smooth.
- In another bowl combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt and cardamom. Mix well
- Add to the wet bowl and combine to form a sticky dough. Add a tablespoon or more flour if the dough is too sticky. You can also do this after chilling.
- Chill the dough for 20 mins
- Mix the coating ingredients in a shallow bowl.
- Take the dough out of the fridge. Divide it into equal size balls of inch or larger. Roll the balls into coating mixture and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet and flatten them.
- Bake at 350 F (176 C) for 11 to 12 minute
- Cool completely before storing