Vegan Cauliflower Tikka Masala with Instant Pot Tikka Masala Sauce. Flavorful Weekday Dinner. Freezer Friendly. Glutenfree Soyfree Nutfree option
The Tikka Masala Sauce that we made in the earlier post goes amazingly with almost anything. Most veggies, tofu, tempeh, seitan, vegan chikin, chickpeas, lentils, soycurls or just use as a dressing over a bowl. Easy, luscious, so flavorful!
The sauce is made in the Instant Pot before adding anything else to it, so that just the sauce can be cooked for a longer time. This helps roast the ingredients under pressure for that deep flavor profile. If you add veggies, they will become overcook in the time needed for the sauce. You can pressure cook other ingredients such as tempeh, seitan, soy curls or chickpeas with the uncooked sauce ingredients. Just add them to the sauce before closing the lid, With Cauliflower I prefer to bake it and then simmer in the cooked sauce for a few mins for best results. To cook it in the instant pot, pressure cook for just 1 minute at low pressure with the already cooked sauce or just Simmer with cooked sauce on the stove top/IP for 10-12 mins or until cauliflower is cooked to preference.
Try it both ways to decide which you prefer, Add some chickpeas in for added protein. Lets make this!
Tips and substitute options
Like with all my Indian Recipes, I try to keep the flavors as authentic as possible while making it simpler. You can change up other things based on availability and preference (non dairy yogurt can easily be subbed with non dairy cream or milk). It doesn’t affect the amazing flavor, the sauce if flavorful enough and some changes here and there dont affect the deliciousness. It might affect the traditional flavor profile, which may or may not be detectable :).
Use other veggies such as roasted pumpkin/sweet potato/butternut squash, fresh broccoli or zucchini for variations. Add some beans or lentils for a hearty meal.
If you make this Tikka Masala, do let me know how it worked out!
More Instant Pot options
- Chana Saag GF
- Instant Pot Vegan Butter Chickin(soycurls). GF – Creamy, Delicious
- Japanese Veggie Curry. GF
- Aloo Gobi GF
- Instant Pot Lasagna Soup with Red lentils. – So Easy
- More Instant Pot Recipes!
Vegan Cauliflower Tikka Masala
- 1 medium head of cauliflower chopped into florets
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) garam masala
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) or more salt
- 1 Recipe my Tikka masala sauce , use 2/3 of the sauce recipe if using a small head of cauliflower
- 1/4 cup (2.1 oz) non dairy cream such as cashew ( (blend 1/4 cup cashews with 1/4 cup water until smooth), soy, coconut (optional)
- If you havent yet, make my Tikka Masala Sauce. To a large bowl, Add the chopped cauliflower florets, drizzle oil and lemon juice and toss well to coat. In a small bowl mix all the spices and salt. Sprinkle the spices all over the cauliflower and toss to coat. Spread the florets on a parchment lined baking sheet or baking dish. Bake at 400 degrees F (205 C) for 25 mins.
- In a saucepan over medium heat or instant pot on saute mode, combine the tikka masala sauce and baked cauliflower. Add 1/4 cup of non dairy cream if needed. Mix well. Bring to a boil. At this point you can also add in a cup or more chickpeas for added protein. Cook for about 3-4 mins. Taste and adjust salt and flavor.
- Garnish with fenugreek leaves or cilantro. Sprinkle some smoked paprika or cayenne (really important for a smoky flavor). Take off heat. Then let the mixture sit for another few mins before serving. Serve with Naan, flatbreads or rice.