Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Soup made in Instant Pot Pressure cooker. This pumpkin apple soup is quick and easy and perfect for fall. Stove top option. 8 Ingredients! Gluten-free Soy-free Recipe, Can be nut-free Jump to Recipe
It’s raining and cold and I just want to sit inside a comforter with a warm bowl of this soup. A creamy, savory, pumpkiny, spiced bowl of comfort.
Aromatics are sauteed, then the pumpkin puree and apple is cooked with ginger, chili, cashews and broth. Then blended and served hot. Garnish with pepper, pumpkin seeds, roasted pumpkin or croutons! Make a double batch because this soup is going to disappear!
Stove-top instructions, nut-free options and other questions mentioned in the recipe and the post.
Ingredients for Vegan Pumpkin Soup
- Onion, garlic, ginger are he aromatics in this soup
- Some green chile adds fantastic flavor. You can use mild chilies or some bell pepper.
- Pumpkin puree makes up the volume along with an apple
- broth or water as the liquid
- salt and sugar or other sweetener, thyme and cayenne for flavor
- Cashews are cooked along with the soup for creamyness. You can use other nuts such as macadamia, or use pumpkin seeds or coconut cream for nut-free.
How to make Vegan Pumpkin Soup in the Instant Pot
Close the lid, then pressure cook. Let the pressure release naturally. Then blend the soup.
Can I make this soup with a whole Pumpkin?
Yes, Lets get adventurous! Wash a small pumpkin that fits your instant pot, remove the stem, place it on the steamer basket over the broth+ apple mixture (some of the pumpkin will submerge), and pressure cook for 12 mins. Let the pressure release naturally. Carefully remove the pumpkin. Wait for it cool a bit, then slice open carefully and scoop thee seeds out. The flesh would already be peeling, so remove the flesh. Transfer the pumpkin to the pot and blend. Once smooth, cook the soup on saute for 4 to 5 mins.
The Instant Pot process is a bit fussy, but much less than slicing a raw pumpkin (it is hard and dangerous) and scooping seeds and chopping etc.
Can I make this soup on the stove top?
Yes, see recipe section for instructions to make the soup in a saucepan.
Can I make the soup without nuts?
Yes use 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds or 1/2 cup coconut cream
More Soups for Fall
- Curried Butternut squash soup
- Chickpea rice soup – no chikin no noodle soup
- Red lentil chili
- Easy Lentil Soup
- Wild Rice Mushroom Soup
- More Soups
Vegan Pumpkin Soup (Instant Pot)
- 1 tsp oil , or use 2 tbsp broth to saute
- 1/2 cup (80 g) finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger chopped
- 1 green chili chopped (use half for less heat or use 1 tbsp chopped bell pepper)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 cup (245 g) pumpkin puree , (canned 100% pumpkin, not pumpkin pie mix) or mashed cooked pumpkin, or use 3 cups/450 gm cubed pumpkin)
- 1 apple chopped (or use 1 cup more pumpkin puree)
- 1 tsp soy sauce tamari for gluten-free, (optional)
- 1/4 cup (32.25 g) cashews , use 1/3 cup for creamier, For nut-free use 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, or 1/2 cup white beans or 1/2 cup coconut cream with 2 cups of broth instead of 2.5 cups
- 2 cups (473.18 ml) veggie broth or water , 2.5 cups for thinner
- 1/2 tsp salt
- sugar/sweetener if needed
- garnish with pepper flakes or black pepper and pumpkin seeds
- Select saute on the Instant pot. Add a tsp of oil. Add onion, garlic, ginger, chili and a pinch of salt. Cook until translucent.
- Add the thyme, cayenne, pumpkin puree, apple, cashews, soy sauce if using, broth and salt and mix well. Cancel saute, Select manual for 12 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally once the pressure cooking time is up.
- Blend using immersion blender or regular blender(carefully). Reheat to bring to a boil to thicken or reheat before serving. Taste and adjust salt, add some sweetener if needed, i like to add about a 1/2 tsp sugar. Serve garnished with pepper flakes/black pepper and pumpkin seeds or croutons.
- Stove top Saucepan: Saute the onion, garlic, ginger, chili over medium heat in a saucepan. Add the rest of the ingredients, partially cover and bring to a boil. Continue to cook for 15 minutes. Blend and bring to a boil, taste and adjust flavor, garnish and serve.
- Store: Refrigerate for upto 4 days. Freeze for upto a month.