Instant Pot Vegan Chili – Oil-free Kidney Bean Red Lentil Chili. Easy Flavorful Bean Lentil Vegetarian Chili 18 Gm Protein! Saucepan Option. Vegan Glutenfree Nutfree Soyfree Recipe. Jump to Recipe
It was hot last week to give a glimpse of Summer, and then we hit a cold front again. So here we are enjoying a bowl of chili for dinner! Curries, stews, chili, Dal are all season meals in my house. A hearty 1 Pot meal with veggies and beans and flavors of choice!
This chili has veggies, red lentils and kidney beans. The lentils add a great texture and also thicken the chili really well. Add whichever beans you like to make up the bulk. I like to use chipotle and ancho chilies for flavor. Use dry or canned chipotle pepper to preference.
This chili is Simple, hearty, quick and Delicious.
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto. No standing and stirring needed! GF
- Instant Pot Vegan Butter Chickin(soycurls). GF – Creamy, Delicious
- Japanese Veggie Curry. GF
- Potato Chickpea Spinach Soup. GF
- More Instant Pot Recipes!
Tips for an amazing chili in the instant pot every time
- Cook the veggies and tomato on saute for a more rounded flavor and texture.
- Add just enough liquid for the lentils for a thick chili as water does not evaporate while pressure cooking.
- Add texture ingredients such as chopped mushrooms, beefy crumbles, walnuts. Add a blend of different mexican dried chilies, powdered or flakes for flavor variations.
- Toppings are not optional 🙂
- Burn issues: Red lentils can sometimes tend to clump and settle and then burn at the bottom. To reduce this possibility, 1. Mix the lentils in really well for about 10-15 seconds so that they distribute and start to absorb some liquid and hence not settle. 2. Or sprinkle them over after step 3 and dont mix, 3. Or Add 1/2 cup more water and 1 or 2.
- There are several things that can affect thick dishes in a pressure cooker. The model, type of IP, the moisture content in veggies& tomato, anything stuck on the bottom of the pot, the age of the lentils etc. Sometimes whole lentils are labelled as red lentils. I use the split kind in this recipe. The non split red lentils will make an even thicker chili.
Instant Pot Vegan Chili - Oil-free Kidney Bean Red Lentil Chili
- 1/4 cup (62.5 ml) water or broth
- 1/2 (0.5) onion chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 jalapeno or 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup (101 g) chopped celery
- 1/2 cup (64 g) chopped carrots
- 1/2 (0.5) red bell pepper or green bell pepper chopped
- 15 oz can kidney beans or 1.5 cups cooked , or use black beans
- 1/2 cup (96 g) dry red lentils quick cooking lentils (masoor dal)
- 2 tsp ground cumin or a combination of cumin and coriander
- 1 to 2 tsp paprika I use a combination of smoked paprika and sweet
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) chipotle chili flakes or powder or ancho chili powder
- 1 to 2 tsp chili powder blend chili blend not pure chili powder, optional
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) each garlic powder and onion powder
- 1 bay leaf optional
- 28 oz diced tomato with juices
- 1 to 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3/4 tsp (0.75 tsp) salt (less if using salted broth and beans)
- 1.5 cups (13.23 oz) water or veggie broth
- lemon juice to taste , cayenne or black pepper for heat
- 1/4 cup (4 g) cilantro
- avocado , hot sauce, vegan sour cream, chopped onion, tortilla strips, other toppings
- Add water or broth to the instant Pot on Saute when hot. Add onion, garlic and jalapeno. Cook for 2 minutes. Stir frequently. Add another tbsp water to deglaze if needed.
- Add the veggies and a good dash of salt and mix. Cook for another 2 minutes. (At this point you can add the tomatoes and cook them until tender for 3 to 4 mins, stirring occasionally. This adds a deeper flavor profile or follow next step for quicker).
- Add the kidney beans, red lentils, spices, tomato, tomato paste, salt and water and give it a good mix to pick up any stuck bits. (You can also add other cooked beans at this point. Add some corn, veggies, 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts for texture for variation). Add 1/2 cup more water for thinner consistency or if tomatoes werent as juicy..
- Close the lid and pressure cook for 8 to 9 minutes (Manual/Pressure Cook, high pressure). Let the pressure release naturally. Mix in 1 to 2 tsp lemon juice and half of the cilantro.
- Taste and adjust salt, heat and flavor and add more if needed. Serve hot garnished with chopped onion, jalapeno, cilantro, avocado, hot sauce. See Saucepan instructions in Notes