A 3 layer garlicky veg biryani. Packed full of delicious vegetables and spices and topped with fresh cilantro. Serve with hot Raita. Vegan and Gluten Free Recipe. Jump to Recipe
3 Layer Garlicky Veg Biryani
- 2 cups (370 g) basmati rice cooked until almost done
- 1 cup (100 g) cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup (55 g) green beans chopped
- 1/2 cup (64 g) carrots finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (80 g) onions chopped
- 1/2 cup (70 g) green peas
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 cloves of garlic sliced
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 3 bay leaves
- 4-5 cloves
- 10 black peppercorns
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 tablespoon non dairy milk
- 1/4 tablespoon (0.25 tablespoon) saffron strands
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- In a large pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil and add all the spices.
- Cook the spices on medium heat for 4-5minutes until they start giving out an aroma
- Add in the chopped onions and garlic and cook for 5 minutes until brown
- Add in the cauliflower, carrots and beans and cook for another 5-6 minutes.
- Add in some salt and green peas and cook covered for 3-4 minutes or until veggies are almost done.
- Wash rice and keep soaked for half an hour. Drain and cook in boiling water for 6-7 minutes or rice is almost done. Add in some salt while the rice is cooking.
- Divide rice into 2 parts.
- In a small bowl, mix warm non dairy milk or water and saffron strands and keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Mix this milk in one part cooked rice.
- In the remaining half rice, add a teaspoon of red chili powder and mix well.
- Grease a deep baking dish.
- Make the base layer using the chili rice.
- Top that layer with cooked veggies.
- The saffron infused rice will be the top layer.
- Cover the dish with aluminium foil and bake in pre-heated oven at 350 degrees F for half an hour.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve hot with Raita!